PDA

View Full Version : Silver Fork and Caples Lake Alert!!!

El Rey
07-23-2008, 02:47 PM
For those of you, like me, who like to fish the Silver Fork, be advised:

The Sacbee reported that Caples Lake is being drawn down in preparation for work on the slide gates at the outlet. The Irrigation District advised that flows will be higher-than usual, and are expected to remain very high through mid-September. Caples Lake will be emptied over the next two months.

For more info, the El Dorado Irrigation District's website is:

www.eid.org

This is going to change a few fishing plans.

Cheers,
El Rey

BigBill
07-23-2008, 03:23 PM
EID board meeting (public welcome to come and speak) Aug 5th in Placerville. Hopefully some fish advocates will be present. I doubt the best interest of the fishery is being prioritized. It kills me to think of all those 10lb brownies getting killed for a construction project!

Scott V
07-24-2008, 07:03 AM
I fished the Silverfork last night around mile marker 3-4 off of Silverfork road and had a decent night on dry flies. Nothing of size but still had the whole river to myself. Water was definetly running a little higher and faster than it usually is. Water clarity was not bad but not crystal clear as I am use to.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/IMGP0721.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/IMGP0722.jpg

FYI the construction is being done for a good reason, if the gates fail then the lake will empty itself while at the same time destroying a good amount of wilderness due to the uncontrollable flow.

Jeff C.
07-24-2008, 07:23 AM
Hey Scott!

Must be nice to able to run up the hill after work to get some dry fly action in. I've fished Silver Creek a lot when my "secret" creek still has patches of snow on it. I'm going there Saturday morning. Planning to camp overnight and get the evening hatch.

Jeff C.

Scott V
07-24-2008, 08:13 AM
Really not much of a hatch at all, I stayed til 8:45 "dark" and saw maybe 2 or 3 Mayfly, other than that a couple moths.

Going to the "secret" creek next weekend. Need some more day long dry action with brookies.

And yes it is nice to work an 8 hour day and still have enough time to go to the sierras for some dry fly action. I was able to leave work at 4 and be in the water by 5:30. :D

Mik
07-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Silver fork is awesome! Always nice par marks on the fish. I used to go up where caples creek is and get fish all day long. Thanks for the post.

Charlie Gonzales
07-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Scott gets my vote for fish bum of the year! I dont know anyone who has a job and wife(kids?) and still gets out as much as he. I still want to do a Yuba trip Scotty; Big hoppers on the bank all day and swingin caddis in the evening.

Scott V
07-24-2008, 02:27 PM
No kids, just cats. And a wife that understands my addiction to fishing, who I am very thankful for. She is the best thing that has come into my life.

Hairstacker
07-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Scott gets my vote for fish bum of the year!
I would just like to second that. :lol:

BigBill
07-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Surprised there isn't more concern at the prospect of Caples being drained and the whole lake killed off. I know I for one have had some amazing days on Caples. Having held hundreds of those fish in my hands, I guess I formed a bond with them. This is hitting me pretty hard.

Can't they do underwater construction? What about relocating the fish temporarily?

Charlie Gonzales
07-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Sorry, didnt mean to jack your thread El Rey. Yes BigBill there should be more concern regarding the fishery. I know if it was one of my favorites I would be more concerned.

Scott V
07-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Surprised there isn't more concern at the prospect of Caples being drained and the whole lake killed off. I know I for one have had some amazing days on Caples. Having held hundreds of those fish in my hands, I guess I formed a bond with them. This is hitting me pretty hard.

Can't they do underwater construction? What about relocating the fish temporarily?

You need to contact EID and listen to the whole story before you start making assumptions. According to EID when the lake gets to around 10 feet or so they are going to shock the fish that are there and transport them to another body of water. As for working under water, they have to replace the gates not just fix them, therefore they have to remove the gates. This is what I was told by EID. This is enevidible on any dam, soon or later parts need to be replaced. Just patching is not the correct fix. They are going to do eveything they can to save the fish, believe it or not.

BigBill
07-24-2008, 09:03 PM

You need to contact EID and listen to the whole story before you start making assumptions. According to EID when the lake gets to around 10 feet or so they are going to shock the fish that are there and transport them to another body of water. As for working under water, they have to replace the gates not just fix them, therefore they have to remove the gates. This is what I was told by EID. This is enevidible on any dam, soon or later parts need to be replaced. Just patching is not the correct fix. They are going to do eveything they can to save the fish, believe it or not.

I did talk to the lady at EID and she firmly told me that the plan was as yet uncertain and that the risk of losing most or all of the fish was very real.

I've also heard rumors that fish and game would prefer to re stock it with only cutthroat. So long trophy stillwater browns near home.

It's a very unfortunate situation.

Black Cloud
07-25-2008, 05:49 PM
I fish the east and west carson alot and I've noticed a lot more cutthroats.Last wednesday I was fishing the canyon of the west carson when the DFG hatchery truck pulled up and dumped a load of fish 6 to 8 inches long. All were cuthroat and the driver said he had delivered the same on tuesday.