PDA

View Full Version : Need to purchase waders

captnorm
07-23-2008, 08:05 AM
and since God has a sense of humor, he made my body not comforming to the "norm" (I have a sense of humor too)! So where can I buy waders that will fit? I've bought some in the past that had to be returned for one reason or the other, ie: too long in the legs, unable to get over midsection, unable to get proper size bootfoot, etc! All help appreciated!

Norm :)

flyfshrmn
07-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Go to Bill's place and try on the Simms. They make a lot of different sizes and you should be able to find one that fits. Good fit really makes a big difference and it's safer in heavy water - a bad fit usually means going larger and it leaves a lot of excess fabric that the current can push on and flap around.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-23-2008, 09:04 AM
Yes, I have one of those interesting bodies too.

Simms are great waders and they have more size combinations than anyone.

Because I am 5'6" and have size 8.5 feet I need to be in the 'Medium' size range.

Because I ate too many burritos in my lifetime I need the wider "King" model too (Husky).

Because my inseam is 28" (Gorilla) I need the "Short" model too.

So I am a "Medium King Short" (MKS) and the fit is unreal..............but women don't chase me anymore?

Smart fly fishers do go into shops and try on waders and then boots to get that perfect fit.

We have one of the largest wader/boot selection in Nor Cal. We have an entire room dedicated to them.

captnorm
07-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the replies! Bill, you sound like my twin with bigger feet. I'll try and make it your shop and try on some waders. Thanks again.

norm

Ed Wahl
07-23-2008, 07:18 PM
I'd listen to Bill, Norm. Between him and Andy they can look at you and tell what size wader you'll need. They made a believer out of me. Ed

Oh yeah, Bill, I forgot to mention I'm still dry and comfortable........ and the waders are nice too. :D Ed

sacrivertrout
07-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the replies! Bill, you sound like my twin with bigger feet. I'll try and make it your shop and try on some waders. Thanks again.

norm

That is messed up. Then you are going to have to pay like $50 buck extra to have modified booties.

Adam Grace
07-24-2008, 10:53 PM
I however believe that an extra $50 is worth the comfort that one may find in properly sized waders if you need to pay a little extra, especially when those waders can last you a long time.

POLL: How long have you owned you current pair of waders?

me: 8 years of owning my Simms Guide waders, granted a I fished a couple of years in the less comfortable Patagonia waders that were more convenient due to their built in gravel guards. My Simms waders fit better and are more enjoyable to wear.

Jeff C.
07-25-2008, 06:40 AM
4 yrs wearing a pair of Simms G3s. I just wore them out. It was going to cost $120 to replace one boot foot and fix pin holes and worn out seams with no guarantee. I'm opting to buy a new pair of G3s. Jeff C.

Scott V
07-25-2008, 07:11 AM
I have had my Cabela waders for less than a year, but then again I have only been fly fishing for just under a year. I would have bought Simms but I can not justify that kind of money for waders, they make a great product, but just too much for a newbie like me.

captnorm
07-25-2008, 05:52 PM
I know that the Simms are expensive, but if they last quite a few years the price in not that bad! For example: $395 plus the price of boots installed for an extra $100 equals $495 plus tax or $535.84. If they last 8 years that would only amount to $66.98 a year or 18 cents a day. I think that would not be so bad. I'm not being sarcastic it's just that my wife was just looking over my shoulder and I had to write something that will make it seem reasonable to her! :D

So I will be making a trip to Bill's place in the near future to get fitted!

Norm

dtp916
07-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Patagonia Waders are the best I've ever owned and fished in. All my Simms have leaked, but they still have plenty of satisfied customers...

MrBig
07-28-2008, 05:38 PM
My current waders are Simms. I've had them for 3 years. I forget the model but they were only like $200-250. The fit is amazing, they're very comfortable. No problems with leaks or tears, and I've really beat the heck out of these things. I can't tell you how many times I've fallen. :oops: