PDA

View Full Version : Dognapping

OregonSalmon
07-22-2008, 06:27 AM
Moral/legal quandry: since my neighbor across the hall is a junkie and drives drunk and doesn't know where she left the dog or even her car and I love the world's finest hound more than my life, would it be right to steal the hound and give him an owner that walks and feeds him as I do? If you met Al you would fall in love in a measure of time less than a nanosecond. Think he is a Aussie shepard/border collie mix. Smart dude and graceful as the Bolshi Ballet on a good day. Mash the last twenty years of supermodels together to make one and the dog is still cuter. He is one hell of a hound and deserves the best and he isn't getting it from this hopeless women.

Girls and boys, ring in on this decision. My mind is pretty much made up but any input is welcome. I don't lie, cheat or steal and only break the laws of nature on my diet of beer and chew and garlic but I believe I have to go to the wall for Al. NEVER LEAVE A DOG BEHIND!!!!

Scott V
07-22-2008, 06:31 AM
If the person is truly a junkie and the dog is being mistreated, I would remove it from a bad situation.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-22-2008, 07:47 AM
I'm with you on this one..............

Bob Laskodi
07-22-2008, 08:13 AM
Rather than "dognap" it, why not trade her a six-pack (or what ever else she values!) for it? I'll bet she jumps all over that!

BigBill
07-22-2008, 08:32 AM
If the situation truly is as you've described it, I agree with your decision to rescue the dog 100%. I once rescued a dog myself that was in a similar situation.

Amador
07-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Tough situation. I would probably call the local SPCA to discuss options. Obviously you want what is best for the dog, but you don't want to get into any legal trouble either. I don't know what the laws are, but it doesn't realy make much sense to rescue a dog, if you are going to end up in jail for it.

Maybe offer to purchase the dog first?

BigBill
07-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Tough situation. I would probably call the local SPCA to discuss options. Obviously you want what is best for the dog, but you don't want to get into any legal trouble either. I don't know what the laws are, but it doesn't realy make much sense to rescue a dog, if you are going to end up in jail for it.

Maybe offer to purchase the dog first?

Getting SPCA involved is scary. They kill a lot of animals. He would have no guarantee of adopting it if SPCA got involved. I've had bad experiences with them and don't like them very much.

Dabalone
07-22-2008, 04:10 PM
If people decided to take things in their own hands everytime they disagreed with the way someone handled their pets, where would that get us? Would you steal someones child if you thought they were mistreated? I understand how you feel but let the authorities take care of it, let them know before hand you would like to take the animal if its seized.

roostersgt
07-22-2008, 06:17 PM
It's a crime to steal a dog. Could be a misdemeanor or felony depending on the value of the animal. Think before you act, it could be life-altering, depending on your employment aspirations and whether or not you place any value on being able to vote or own firearms.

Steve

BigBill
07-23-2008, 04:06 PM
It's definitely NOT a felony, or "somebody's child." Vote, own fire arms, liberate mistreated animals, sleep well.

Ed Wahl
07-23-2008, 07:31 PM
I don't know G, that's a tough call. As a dog man myself I'd kill someone for even contemplating that about my dog(s). Your best bet, barring any obvious abuse would be to just carry on like you're doing. Keep Al fed and watered when you can and let him hang out with you. Your neighbor's lifestyle may make the decision for you.

Now, if you see some obvious abuse happening to Al, well, you do what needs to be done. I would. Good luck buddy. Ed

dryflychico
07-24-2008, 08:10 AM
OS your heart is in the right place but I don't think "stealing" the dog is a good idea. If this person you are referring to is a true "junkie" (i.e. they are hooked on meth, heroin, or another hard drug) then this should be pretty easy. Talk to the person and tell them you'd like to buy Al for $25 or $50. I assume the dog is worth that much to you from what you wrote. If the dog owner says no, them let them know there is a standing offer if they change their mind. A real junkie will need $$ in a matter of days if not hours and will be back looking to sell the dog.

This way you don't have to steal or compromise your ethics or morals to become the rightful owner of Al. Just have the cash stashed away so you are ready to pull the trigger when the time comes, also have a little contract written up about the purchase and have the owner sign it when the transaction takes place.

Good luck. I hope you get Al soon, dogs deserve good owners.

kbigelow
07-24-2008, 08:39 AM
What about reporting your junkie neighbor to the Cops and then offering to find the dog a home when the cops take your neighbor away.

Ed Wahl
07-24-2008, 06:51 PM
G, I think Dryflychico is onto something there. See if you can buy Al. We can pass the hat(so to speak) here on the board to cover the price. Ed

Dabalone
07-25-2008, 08:49 AM
This thread is disturbing, the title "Dognapping" itself is inappropriate. Its illegal and Oregon Salmon stated he had already made up his mind I assume to carry the act out. Site admins should have taken this thread down immediately. What else will be allowed for encouragement here?

He does not describe seeing any physical abuse to the dog or any evidence of. Apparently he dislikes the care, attention or lack of the dog receives. If thats a means test to qualify for dognappings, it fits probably half the dog owners in the country. His description of the dog, "Smart dude and graceful as the Boshi Ballet on a good day. He is one hell of a hound and deserves the best" By his own description it sounds like the dog is of sound mind and fit. He obviously does not like the owner by the negative description he gives, maybe I should ask, is this someone you know or just observe? And how do you know his or her personal habits so well?

I would never stand for anyone physically or mentally mistreating any animal if I was aware of it. But if there is no evidence of direct abuse its none of my business or anyone else's how a person handles their pets. I am disappointed the owner of this site Mr. Kiene agrees with someone stealing another persons pet based on what was posted. I remember recently a thread was taken down because it may have encouraged trespassing on some river property, some consistency here maybe.

jbird
07-25-2008, 09:03 AM
I think its hilarious how serious this thread has been taken. I have been reading oregonsalmons stuff on this site for a few years. Anyone else who has, knows that he is often jesting. His posts are typically dark, poetic comedy, and it just cracks me up at how he's pushed so many buttons with this post :lol: Maybe you should go to his profile and pull up all his posts and start reading, youll probably laugh yourself to tears from his style of writing...and sweep this one under the rug.

Clam on Gallen :D

Rick J
07-25-2008, 11:08 AM
I like the idea of passing the hat if we can get Geller a dog out of this, I am all for it :)

Dabalone
07-25-2008, 11:49 AM
I think its hilarious how serious this thread has been taken. I have been reading oregonsalmons stuff on this site for a few years. Anyone else who has, knows that he is often jesting. His posts are typically dark, poetic comedy, and it just cracks me up at how he's pushed so many buttons with this post :lol: Maybe you should go to his profile and pull up all his posts and start reading, youll probably laugh yourself to tears from his style of writing...and sweep this one under the rug.

Clam on Gallen :D

So ive been hoodwinked eh. Was his post meant to push buttons? Sorry, but I guess you have to be in the loop here. Soooo if this is an attempt at dark poetic comedy I didn't see the humor in it. And I have never looked up a persons profile and cross checked his prior posts to make sure I didn't misunderstand his current one. I am sure Mr. Oregon is a wonderful fella, but I think he is wrong and stand by that.

Scott V
07-25-2008, 11:50 AM
I'll throw in a couple bucks to help save a future fishing buddy.

Darian
07-25-2008, 12:28 PM
I'm with jbird.... 8) I think Galen is intelligent enough to know what he wants to do (if anything) and don't see anything in his post to make me think differently.... 8) 8)

I've always enjoyed his humor and hope it'll continue.... :D :D :D