PDA

View Full Version : new to digital slr........

paulegan81
07-21-2008, 02:29 PM
I just bught a canon Rebel XSI and it came with a 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6

now i want to get a telephoto lens if you guys could only have one
what one would you buy......

also would you buy canon or go with another brand...........

thinking some where around 200mm to 300mm

trying to stay under $700

thanks
Paul......

Adam Grace
07-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Paul, I sell cameras for best buy...I would suggest the 70-300IS USM Canon Lens for about $700 or save some monbey if this is not going to be a commonly used lens and buy the new Canon 55-250mm IS lens. There are some other nice lenses made by manufactures like Sigma and Tamron but when you get a long lens like a 250 or longer make SURE that you get a lens with image stabilization!!!!!!!!!!

paulegan81
07-24-2008, 04:00 AM
ok went to a local shop and picked up a EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM :D :D :D

with all of the other acc. i wanted the 70/300 was getting a little priciy and the 55/250 just wouldn't focus fast enough for what i want to do talked to a guy at a comp fly shop. and he recamended this lens with all the extras i hit the upper level of what i was going to spend so things worked out ok....

28-135 gives me a pretygood range with out being to heavy and bulky.....
i dont know if the 3.5 max aperature will be enough to get those sunset hero shots im loook ing for just yet, giving my limited ability. im sure with all the buttons on this camera there is a setting some where. and with time shooting just like casting im sure ill get better and better with it.......

i will be saving my money for the 70/300
and prolly the EF-S60 mm f/2.8 Macro USM

Adam Grace
07-24-2008, 10:40 PM
I hope that you get better results out of that lens than i have....not too impressed with it's focusing capability. But his shot was taken with it

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3237/2700810544_ed68f26164.jpg

not very sharp though

good luck with your new camera

Adam Grace
07-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Every once and awhile I get some sharp shots but overall I'm not very impressed with the focusing abilities of this lens.

paulegan81
07-26-2008, 08:12 AM
it seems to be fast and sharp in bright light with high contrast but when the light is not quite right or you are shooting things like that hawk on a log that is almost the same color then it is slow to focus...... i have set my focus point only on center and it seems to be a bit quicker and a touch more acurate........ when shooting macro w/28-135 it blurs the back ground but not the forground???? shure it is just me........
I read some good reviews about this lens for a non-pro like myself it should do well
But........ i think i want the 24-105mm f/4L is usm now after having the 28-135mm on the boat it just dosnt get wide enough for a shot of a big fish....
well it dose but I have to go all the way to the bow of the boat.....
my fishing partner just sujuested that i keep the lens and get a biger boat :lol: :lol: :lol:

hey how far were you from that hawk when you snaped.......
???????

Paul........

Jay Murakoshi
07-26-2008, 08:29 AM
Paul,

Email me and I will try to help you out on a few of your problems.

Jay

Todd
07-27-2008, 10:32 AM
Paul, you might also consider a wide angle lens, I use a Canon 30D, I have several lens, but seem to use my wide angle most for fishing and close in shots. The Tamron 11-18mm is a good one, if you shop the discounters, you'll find deals.

Todd

Todd
07-27-2008, 10:38 AM
I agree with Adam, the 18-55mm lens that comes with Canon cameras isn't very good, I seldom use mine, best to invest in some quality lens as your budget will allow. You can always use them in the future if you upgrade your camera.........especially if the mounts match up, or you find an adapter.

Todd

Adam Grace
07-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Paul, I shot that at 135mm, Hogan maneuvered the boat close to the hawk for me to take a picture, it turned out to be close enough for when it flared it's wings....I got a lucky shot, it posed perfectly for me :D

That 11-18mm sounds like a nice wide angle lens.

I have the opportunity to buy a 17-50mm, 2.8 all the way through, Tamron lens that should be wide enough for boat shooting. I like how the Tamron offers a little bit more zoom than 18mm thought. Just like you my 28-135 sucks while shooting boat partners fighting/landing fish. I have read good reviews about this Tamron and I am getting close to buying it, check it out.

Todd
07-29-2008, 10:15 AM
Adam..the 17-50 sounds good too for the reasons you stated....who knows I may have to add that sometime in the future. Next Thursday & Friday I'll be fishing off Mission Bay / San Diego for Mako's on the fly....hopefully will have some shots to post when I get back, once I edit, a video for You Tube.