PDA

View Full Version : Surf Fishing Setup

FlyFlogger
07-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Hello,
I am getting an 8wt setup for doing some surf fishing in the Orange County area and am not sure what would be a good line to use. Do most use a WF floating line or something else? Also, I need to get some type of stripping basket to use. Any suggestions for one for the surf?? Thanks in Advance,
Perry

Darian
07-19-2008, 10:49 PM
Perry,.... open up the thread that has the White Seabass photo in it and click on the top link. You'll have to back into the home page but there's some great advice there about surf rigs (including flies) and fishing. :D :D Some others to consider are:

www.garybulla.com (SoCal surf info on the Discussion Board)

www.fliflicker.com (SoCal surf info)

www.pacificextremes.com (Ken Hanley's site for Monterey Bay and others)

www.zenflyfishing.com (Monterey Bay surf)

In addition, there's some stuff in the archives of this BB about surf fishing under key words, Mrnoodlerod( :?: ) Lotsa good stuff out there. Some of it is about bait fishing but still important.

Good luck.... :D :D :D :D

Lucky
07-20-2008, 11:47 AM
For a stripping basket go with a Mangrove Hipshooter. Its the best one I have used.

http://www.sealevelflyfish.com/access_strippingbucket.html

FlyFlogger
07-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks guys for the excellent links and search term for my question. I will look into the Hip Shooter next time I head to the fly fishing shop. I have heard of them, but never have seen one in person yet. It may be just what I'm looking for :)

Perry