PDA

View Full Version : Skagit Leaders

slage
07-15-2008, 08:55 AM
Hey guys,

Looking for an easy to build leader set-up. More specifically, going from a sink-tip head to a smaller fly (sizes 12-16).
I am fishing a 11'7'' rod with the 10' Rio spey heads (6) and a 28' CND Skagit head.
From the tip loop I run 8lb mono down to 3x in about similiar lengths.
This seems to work but am curious as to other thoughts.
Thanks,

Jasonh
07-16-2008, 07:56 AM
It sounds like your good to go but are you trying to use rio sink tips in a certain grain weight that are cut back to 10ft or are you using poly leaders. The sink tips will anchor and cast the line great while the poly leaders will not really work and you will most likely pull your anchor and struggle with casting.

slage
07-16-2008, 09:11 AM
No, the tips are a factory Rio product. Newer I think, specifically for switch rods. I save the poly leaders for the 9'.
Sounds about right on the leader tho?, thanks.
It was my first experience casting with the Skagit this past weekend. Whew! Feels like shooting a gun. I may have to tie some foot long leeches :)

Rick J
07-16-2008, 11:01 AM
my only concern if you are looping tippet to the tip loop that 8# might not seat very well on the fatter tip loop. When creating leaders for sink tips I will generally start wtih a heavier butt section (short - maybe 12" or less)that loops nicley to the tip loop - then I either do a surgeons loop in the butt then loop straight mono to that using a double loop on my tippet. Or I will just step down with short sections using blood knots to the tippet I want.