PDA

View Full Version : Truckee?

dryflychico
07-11-2008, 08:01 AM
Anyone been on the Truckee in the last few days? Just wondering how the heat (and smoke) has been affecting the fishing.

I'll have a chance to charge up Sat. evening and fish for the last few hours of the night :D .

Seems like I only make it to the Truckee once a year and it's always during a heat wave :cry: .

Would the LT be better? I've actually never fished that river, looks nice.

Well any and all advice is much appreciated, including any advice regarding bugs.

Feel free to PM if you would rather communicate in that manner.

Thanks,
dryflychico (aka Josh)

El Rey
07-11-2008, 10:11 AM
Yes, I was there yesterday. And yes, it's hot and smoky and the traffic through the construction on I-80 sucks.

But the fishing is good. I was there from 5:00 til 8:00. There were quite a few caddis about, and the fish were keying on them. I managed to catch a few on a #14 EH caddis around 7:00. Late in the day is best.

On the LT the hatches are usually small mayflies about mid-day. As you can guess, I pretty much fish only dries. The usual nymphs will work, though, i.e., PTs, APs, copper johns, etc.--think small.

So, fish the LT during the day, then head over to the main T. Expect company.

Good luck,
El Rey

bigtj
07-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Stage 2 alert today. It's getting really, really bad, worse even than before. I don't think it's worth it right now to fish.

dryflychico
07-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Where did you see Stage 2 alert posted? I have been keeping an eye on it all day (down here in the valley and up there) and I have only seen a Stage 1 posted up there.

Don't get me wrong I know Stage 1 is still bad but I would consider fishing in it (I'm somewhat young and in pretty good shape and the Truckee isn't what I consider a very strenuous river, not to mention I have only fished one day this year and am dying to get out), Stage 2 on the other hand I probably would not mess with.

El Rey,

Thanks for the information, I hope to put it to good use.

dryflychico (aka Josh)

bigtj
07-11-2008, 08:49 PM
I heard it on the radio this morning at 7 am 97.3 bob fm. I think they were wrong though. It wasn't as bad tonight as last night and this morning. It has been horrible though.

dryflychico
07-12-2008, 10:18 AM
BigTJ that's good to know. They were saying that it was supposed to get a little better last night and again tonight, thanks for the info.

So with that knowledge, GAME ON, or FISH ON as the case may be.

The wife's in Ireland. The Jeep is gassed up. Beer and sandwiches are being packed and the Labradors are freaking out because I'm going through my gear. Definately time to go and I can fish until it's so dark I can't see my fly on the water.

Report pending.

drylfychico (aka Josh)

bigtj
07-12-2008, 07:26 PM
It was way better tonight. I haven't been able to go for a run in 3 weeks. I need some exercise! And the fishing will be more enjoyable now as well. Let me know how the fishing was.

TedK
07-14-2008, 12:55 AM
Fished at Glenshire for a couple of hours -- hooked into four fish using a golden stone nymph and PT dropper. One was LDR'd but was easily the largest fish I have ever hooked in the Truckee. Use lots of weight to get the fly to the bottom.

My outing got cut short because my rod snapped as I was trying to get unsnagged from a rock -- brand new Redington Super Sport. It broke cleanly in two with no splinters. I don't think they are supposed to do that.

Bill, if you are reading this, have you heard of any similar issues with the Redington SS's? I know they are made with a very brittle fiber, but they were supposed to have figured out a process to make them strong enough to use in rods. Guess they still have some work to do. . .

medfly
07-20-2008, 09:16 AM
spent friday night at my favorite hole on the truckee, fished about 3 hours right up to dark, 1 LDR and 2 to hand, a few missed strikes. not small fish, but not the usual i pull out of that hole either. seemed the fish start rising around 7, but between 8 and 9 there are so many caddis, PEDs coming off the water starts to boil if your in the right spot. i didnt see any grn drakes. thats my report, sorry no pics, was lazy

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-20-2008, 04:44 PM
At our fly shop we have never seen a Redington SS broken yet.

Of coarse we have not sold many.

We are guessing that people who will spend $450 for a fly rod are looking at premium brands like Sage, Scott, Winston, Orvis, T&T and G.Loomis.

We sell a ton of rods below $400 and over $600. $400 to $600 seems to be a 'dead zone' for us.

PS: Did you buy that rod on sale/close-out?