PDA

View Full Version : My first time here

heyeugenio
07-11-2008, 06:56 AM
Good morning friends,

This is my 1st post here on the forum. I'm trying to resurrect this fly fisherman on my trip up to Yuba City. I'll be stationed there for about 4 mos. starting 08/01/08.

I've fished streams and rivers in WA, OR and Canada but, other than Putah Creek, have very limited experience here in beautiful CA.

I have this wonderful opportunity to dust off my Sage 6wt combo and get her wet again!

I have a preference for dry but have hooked a few small mouth and shad on sinking tippet rigs but honestly, I miss steelhead and 'bows.

Can any of the brethren here recommend some good spots that are relatively accessible around the Yuba City area? I'll be staying on Clark which is pretty close to Hwy 20 and the Feather. I saw, from aerial views, that the Yuba and Feather meet just south of where I'm staying. I'd love to hit some spots there by riding my bike out and throwing on my waders.

If there's any spots that I can bring my 7 and 4 year old sons to without too much hiking/walking/climbing for the wifey I'd love to hear about those as well.

Thanks in advance and hopefully I'll be posting a "Fish On!" thread soon with your help.

Warm Regards and good fishin'

Angelo

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-11-2008, 07:17 AM
You will be in a great location.

The Lower Yuba and Lower Feather are great rivers.

Right now it is pretty hot so I would fish early and late in the day.

Both rivers will have caddis hatches in the PM now.

You can try small Dave's hoppers in the afternoons.

You might try swinging olive streamers/leeches too.

Nymphing in the heavier riffles should be good.

You can fish around the Hwy 20 bridge on the Yuba.

Try below the hatchery on the Feather.

Be sure to fish barbless to be safe and check with the CA DF&G for the regulations.

heyeugenio
07-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks Bill! This is a great resource for local anglers.

Are there any local fly shops or outfits that you or any other members can recommend in the lower Yuba/Feather river areas?

I'd like to see and get to know some of the locals - don't wanna step on anyone's toes or get myself in trouble out there.

Though it's only a temporary 4 mo. stint, I'd like to create some great memories for myself and my kids too. I want to be able to teach them some of life's great lessons that can be learned by fishing and experiencing life beyond the TV, PC and video games. For example, some of the many reasons to catch and release, the experience of the fight and the lesson of patience.

I'd also love to relive the adventures I experienced on the many streams, rivers and creeks that I've fished throughout Oregon. One of the fondest was at Ben and Kay Doris along the McKenzie which I continue to guage all other fishin' holes by.

Thanks again folks! I look forward to hearing back from any who can lend a hand.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-12-2008, 08:50 AM
There are 3 fly shops in Chico, CA.

__________________________________________________ ____

Jeff Putnam teaches a one day school on the lower Yuba River.

http://www.jpflyfishing.com/groupclasses/onthewaterclasses/yubariver.htm

__________________________________________________ ___

Ryan Miller guides the Lower Yuba River in a drift boat.

http://www.northernwatersflyfishing.com/