PDA

View Full Version : Definition of red-hot fishing

Rick J
07-11-2008, 06:24 AM
For me at least I can go without catching a fish and still classify the fishing as red-hot.

Reading other posts for instance on Davis Lake some folks said fishing was slow (and if they were in the wrong place perhaps it was). I had two totally different trips to Davis over a 2 week period. The first trip the damsels were going strong and the fish were actively feeding. The second trip, the damsels were going strong and the fish were actively feeding. The first trip I hooked and caught alot of fish, the second trip I landed maybe 5 fish in two days and yet I classify both trips as red hot. OK so the catching ws not red hot :)

If there are bugs hatching and fish working consistantly, I am totally happy - if I manage to catch fish I may be happier but..

Probably the best example I can think of happened a number of years ago on the Ranch section of the Henry's Fork. Don Rotsma, another friend and I fished two days. The first day, there were multiple hatches and spinner falls going on with big heads popping everywhere and we had a great day - seems we could do no wrong - we all hooked numerous fish.

We went back the next day and the same bugs were going on and fish actively working. In 4 hours of intense fishing none of us got so much as a suck-down. If you were to guess that the first day stands out as a more memorable day many years later, you would be wrong. That second day is one of my most memorable days on the river, and is what keeps me coming back!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-11-2008, 07:49 AM
I know what you mean Rick.

We come from the "old school" where we like to fish the hatches on top.

I have asked people if fish were "working" on top?

As long as bugs are hatching and fish are eating them what more can you ask for.

I remember one opening weekend on Hat Creek, a long time ago. It hailed and then after it stopped all hell broke loose with every bug in the creek coming off.

Fishing was still not easy but I did hook one wonderful wild 16" Rainbow that smoked off and jumped several times. I actually popped off the fish as my spinning reel handle got caught in the sleeve of my raincoat.

I still remember that day.....................

paulegan81
07-11-2008, 08:38 PM
some days we fish it is more important to be fishing than catching.........I need to rember that more often than i do

Paul........

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-12-2008, 08:30 AM
At my age I really just enjoy getting out there.

Out in the wilds with a good friend or two is always going to be a nice day.

Once and a while it's nice to have the fish co-operate though.

Hairstacker
07-12-2008, 08:49 AM
Rick, I'm with you -- if there's clearly evidence the fish are extremely active, then no doubt the fishing is "red hot." I can't help but also think, though, that if the fish are that active and they're also paying attention to my flies, then the fishing is even that much hotter. :lol:

Rick J
07-12-2008, 09:29 AM
I gotta admit if every day was like that second day on the Ranch, I would get discouraged but I have enough days to think I have really figured this game out so that when a day like that happens it puts me in my place and gets me motivated to try to figure it out again :)

Probably the most rewarding thing to me in fishing is to find an actively feeding fish on a spring creek and work him until he takes - I have gone a couple of hours on one fish on the Henry's Fork and Silver Creek (dead drifting a size 24 trico) and if I finally succeed, it is a very satisfying moment and if I don't, it just gives me incentive to try again. I would not like it to be easy (though those easy days are nice now and agann!)

As much as I love the 2-handed rod game for steelhead and my occasional salt water trips and the exciting grab of a tarpon, if I were limited to just one type of fishing it would hands down be spring creek fishing when the bugs are hatching

FRSam
07-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Well Rick it's all in the eye of the beholder. I'd much rather fish to working fish than just water but I'll certainly fish water if I have no other choice.

I went out the other day and never got a fish to hand but I did manage to break off two beautiful fish and I was absolutely delighted. I don't think I'd describe that as Red Hot but I could hardly wait to get back out none the less.

When a friend asks me how the fishing is on the lake I just try and be honest. If the fish are working and not actively taking then that's the report he'll get and I'll let him decide if it sounds hot or not.

The challenge is the name of the game and figuring it out when everybody else is holding slack lines can be very gratifying - particularly when you know the other fisherman are experienced anglers. I think we've all been on both sides of this situation.

I personally wouldn't describe a situation where I've worked on one fish for over an hour and finally taken it as Red Hot...but I'd sure look forward to doing it again in a minute even if I hadn't figured him out.

If someone tells me the fishing is Red Hot - I want more details.

Pete

Rick J
07-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Hi Pete - sorry about your rant in a post above. I expect your Dad will be very happy to be in such a great spot!!!

Regarding fishing to a fish for an hour as being red hot - it kinda depends if there are pods of fish all around you doing the same thing or if that fish happens to be the only fish or one of a few.

I have often targeted just one fish on Silver Creek and the Ranch and stayed with it unti I either hook it (occasionally) or put it down (more often) with fish all around me going crazy - and to me that is red hot fishing even if I never hook one.

It can be extremely tough during a trico emergence and more often a spinner fall or a callibaetis spinner fall on Silver Creek when the bugs look like this

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a395/RickJ/charlies1-1.jpg

I also am willing to just fish the water depending on where I am but on my trips to Silver Creek, I am really mostly only fishing when there is good bug activity and am not casting blind. Lake fishing such as on Davis is another matter and I am often just fishng the water though I am not a huge fan of sinking lines and really have no desire to troll a fly