PDA

View Full Version : Fishing the delta with an old friend

JerryInLodi
07-09-2008, 07:09 PM
I received an e-mail asking me to add an individual to my mail out of my weekly fishing report. The signer's name was Andy Penn. Right away I wrote back asking if he was the same Andy Penn of Andy Penn's Drum City, a popular music store in Sacramento in the late sixties.

When he wrote back and said he was, I was very excited. I had taken guitar lessons at his shop way back when, 40 years ago. Somehow, even though he wasn't my instructor, we must have talked fishing since he invited me to fish with him for SILVER salmon on the American. Not Chinook, SILVERS.

We trolled Mepps spinners along the run in front of Sac State, catching nice bright silver salmon from six to 12 pounds and when that season was over, tried our hand at fishing nightcrawlers for steelhead. I was so broke back then that the cost of the spinner was a big deal. I'm sure Andy furnished the boat, the gas and the lunch on all occassions.

After the e-mail contact I arranged for Andy to meet me at my boat for a half evening's LMB fishing. The start of the day was HOT. We cruised around from three to five, with me showing Andy some starting places to fish for stripers in the fall. After that we took turns throwing a Puglisi on a type IV toward the rock walls, one person hiding under the bimini, the other casting from the open bow. We stuck a couple of fish each and then tried some topwater action about six. The fish were on the poppers immediatly. We dropped the bimini and fished the early evening together, the fishing slowly getting better and better.

Just to screw up a perfect day, the main CPU on my Minnkota locked up on full forward. I could only turn the motor on and off, sometimes almost tipping Andy over in the bow while he was trying to cast. I got a few more casts in and stuck a few more fish but the rest of the evening was really Andy's.

He ended the day with somewhere around 15 fish, the largest about four pounds. He probably missed another dozen since the fish were hitting the popper so hard at times they were knocking it out of the way.

We had a great time. This time it won't be the last time we fish together.

Here's a picture of Andy and one of his fish and another picture of a nice five pounder I stuck the night before.

Evening fishing is great right now. If you can, get out on the water, don't rush, five-thirty or six is plenty early enough. Fish until you can't see your rod tip.

http://www.deltastripers.com/images/7-9-08a.jpg
http://www.deltastripers.com/images/7-9-08.jpg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Andy is pretty well know around Sacramento.

First in the music business and then for his years in the taxidermy business.

He still plays in a nice little band with some other cool 'older dudes'.