PDA

View Full Version : Delta Friday afternoon

Scott V
07-09-2008, 06:31 PM
I am headed to the delta on Friday afternoon with my pontoon for some topwater action. Anyone out there care to join me. I plan to go to Eight Mile Road and launch from Honker Cut Marine. I plan on being at the marina by 5:00 - 5:30. I have to take advantage of this evening top water bite. I will fish either Whites Slough or Disappointment Slough.

Hairstacker
07-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Scott, I can't make it but just wanted to wish you good luck.

The evening bite has been some of the most fun and exciting LMB fishing I've ever enjoyed on the Delta. It really gets the heart going when you're parked on a flat and it turns on and you see fish busting the surface all around you. 8)

A bit of unsolicited advice -- if you encounter such activity, be willing to switch flies and retrieves if you're not getting action. As active as the fish may be, they can be surprisingly selective (if that's the word) at times. I remember once I was striking out on deer hair divers and immediately started getting into action when I switched to a deer hair popper (red/white Tap's Bug) on a fast retrieve.

Scott V
07-10-2008, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the advice Mike, I have no problem switching to other flies if nothing is happening. I'll switch to dynamite if I have to. It looks like I will be fishing an outgoing tide also. :)

erhetta
07-10-2008, 10:32 AM
I will try to come join you out there if I can get out of my afternoon meeting.

Mrs.Finsallaround
07-10-2008, 02:12 PM
I am SO Jealous! :mrgreen:

Good luck Scott! I'll be lookin' for your report this weekend! :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Go get'em boys...............

JerryInLodi
07-12-2008, 07:08 AM
Scott, I hope the wind wasn't a problem for you on Friday. You were probably a little more sheltered than I was on Middle River. Nevertheless, fishing was outstanding with two dozen LMB to four pounds and this specimin below, a 26 inch Sacramento Pike Minnow.

The fish ripped a yellow foam popper right after splashdown. I've caught a number of Pike Minnows while fishing for LMB. They produce an absolutely vicious strike and then a quick strong run but their energy levels drop off rapidly.

http://www.deltastripers.com/images/7-11-08a.jpg

Scott V
07-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Wind was to strong to be out in a pontoon. So I decided to play it safe and not go out. I don't mind going alone when there is no wind, but the wind had me a little concerned. I'll get out either Sunday night or Wednesday for sure.

JerryInLodi
07-13-2008, 06:44 AM
The change in weather seems to have had a major affect on the fishing. Where Thursday and Friday night's fishing was outstanding with dozens of fish landed and many more grabs, Saturday night produced less than a dozen fish for two people, four hours fishing. Not only was the fishing slower but the fish were smaller as well. The wind continued to be a problem.

Looking at the week ahead, it appears that the weather has stabilized again. Hopefully that will bring the fish out in force once more.