PDA

View Full Version : All summer in the Sierras.........trout streams are fun.

Andy Guibord
07-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Well, it's my favorite time of the year to escape the torrid heat of the valley. I'll fill up the old gas hog and hightail it to the Sierras! Most river flows have dropped to a perfect rock hopping level, and cooling, safer wades. Dry fly season is in full swing. I will be casting terrestrial patterns such as beetles, hoppers, and my deadly favorite, a big, winged carpenter ant will glide into the sparkling clear green pools and runs. A parachute ant is easier to follow in more broken water.
Creamy yellow mayflies size 16 and 20s will be hatching different times of the day with an evening grand finally accompanied by number 12 through 16 tan, and olive caddis. You might even see some stoneflies fluttering down from the tree tops and overhanging brush. Don't forget to bring some stimulators size 8 through 16.

Keep hydrated on your adventure. Drink lots of water, don't eat any skunks nor pet the deer, and look out for rattlers. Have fun and leave no trace .

Ed Wahl
07-07-2008, 04:55 PM
I thought you snubbed your nose at puny sierra trout. You tie flies bigger than the average trout in this state. 8) Ed

Jeff C.
07-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Also avoid the poison oak. Vile weed!! Jeff C.

Ben Kobrin
07-08-2008, 02:36 PM
DEET...DON'T FORGET THE DEET!

Andy Guibord
07-09-2008, 06:39 AM
Hi. Ed, every once in a while I have to look at my models.