PDA

View Full Version : Restrictions begin on Salmon fishing

Scott V
07-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Salmon fishing closures on Central Valley rivers took effect today to protect what's left of the fall-run chinook population.

No chinook may be kept anywhere on the Sacramento and San Joaquin rivers or any of their tributaries, including the American and Feather rivers.

The only exception is from Nov. 1 to Dec. 31 on the Sacramento River between the Red Bluff Diversion Dam and Knights Landing. Anglers may possess only one salmon at a time from this area during the open period.

Catch-and-release fishing for salmon is not prohibited in the closure areas, nor is it prohibited to keep other species.

But California Department of Fish and Game officials ask that the public avoid targeting salmon for catch-and-release fishing to avoid stressing the population. If the department finds that salmon are being killed by catch-and-release fishing, additional restrictions may be ordered.

The closures were approved earlier this year in response to an unprecedented decline in the chinook population. The number of spawning fish returning to rivers this fall is expected to set historic lows.

Also closed are all ocean waters in California and Oregon. But the Smith, Klamath and Trinity rivers in California remain open to salmon fishing. Those are separate populations that are relatively strong this year.

And I thought we were not allowed to fish, you just can't keep them. I personally wish they would have banned trying to catch them all together.

sacrivertrout
07-04-2008, 04:19 PM
I wonder how this will affect steelhead fishing, specifically having to deal with insane salmon gearheads?