PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Pit Report

Skunked again
07-02-2008, 08:14 AM
Fished the Pit this weekend (Sat eve. Sun, and Monday morn.) and had a great time! I absolutely love the rugged nature of the pit, treacherous wading and all. It's probably due to my love hate relationship that I've developed with Putah Creek while living in Davis, but my favorite type of fishing is sneaky short-range pocket water nymphing. I find something so alluring about the mystery of what might lurk behind big boulders in that green water. Some of the nicest fish I caught the whole weekend came from pockets not more than a few feet across and a few feet long, no more than a rod's distance away from me. Fishing was relatively slow with the sun beating on the water between about 10:00am and 5:00 pm, but if you fished hard and worked the faster water you could pick up a few here and there. In the evenings fishing really picked up, and most of the pockets that you would think should hold fish would produce if you presented a fly well. I do have to say i was a little disappointed with the size of the fish. Though I caught several fat and healthy fish in the 11-14" range only one fish (besides the two 5+lb suckers) made the "memorable" size category. It's back to the graduate school grind for now, and I'll just have to daydream about that beautiful river. I'll try to post a few pictures once I get them from my friend.