PDA

View Full Version : Truckee River report from Reno Fly Shop

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-02-2008, 07:34 AM
Truckee River

Bugs are out in force. The evening hatches are prolific right now. Caddis and Little Yellow Stones are the main two with a few PMD's, Green Drakes and Stone flies as well. In the mornings nymphing with Z-Wing Caddis, Little Yellow Sallies, HBI's as a dropper and Green Drake Nymphs and Mercer's Poxy Back Stones as a lead fly is the way to go. In the evenings the same method can be used for nymphing. The last hour or so switch over to dry flies such as; Cutters EC Caddis, Burk's Extended Body Little yellow Stone or Rob's Loco Green Drake. Conditions should remain awesome for at least a few more weeks.
Flows: Town of Truckee 376 CFS, Boca Bridge 581 CFS, Farad 602 CFS, Reno 434 CFS.

bigtj
07-02-2008, 08:18 AM
The smoke was real bad again last night. If you have asthma or other breathing problems just be aware the air quality is really bad in the evenings right now, fish in the morning instead. Hopefully it will be gone in another few days.

The hatches are pretty good right now but keep in mind the water is really low for this time of year and the fish are getting hit hard. Stealth is a key for dry fly fishing. And remember, it is the Truckee...great one night, humbling the next.

This is the time of year to stop chucking lead and indicators and catch that fish you've always dreamed of catching on a dry.

PatrickM
07-02-2008, 08:50 AM
I fished the Truckee on Monday. Nymphing was productive throughout the day. Hot fly for me was a tan colored dirty bird in 16 (thanks to BigT
J for that tip). Various green drake and pmd nymphs also worked well.
I only saw a sparse caddis hatch with a few little yellow stones right before dark. Either I was in the wrong place, or it just didn't happen that night. Still managed a few fish on an E/C caddis and a few swinging a prime time pupa.

amoeba
07-02-2008, 11:37 AM
Either I'm missing the right day or place, but it is pretty sporadic out there right now by my judgement; pretty lame hatches - especially in the evenings. Need some dirty birds, I guess.

I'm going somewhere else this weekend.

dtp916
07-02-2008, 12:32 PM
The smoke was pretty bad last night. We fished the main river from 3 PM to dark and got some fish on nymphs, but had a blast the last hour or so fishing yellow sallies and e/c caddis to rising fish. My buddy got the big guy, 17" rainbow that took a stacker sally 8' from the bank! We even watched him chomp a leaf before he ate the fly. 8)

If you go, I'd fish early and late, the water is getting warm and its pretty slow during the day.

Keep 'em tight!