PDA

View Full Version : Tuffleye

Jgoding
07-01-2008, 03:35 PM
anyone play with this stuff yet and notice any advantages over epoxy? Just looking for any tips or pointers before I make a mess with mine...

Darian
07-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Jeff,.... If you already have some then you know about the first drawback, high cost compared to other adhesives/fixatives. :? I haven't used it myself but have followed discussions of the product and how to use it on Blanton's BB. Tuffleye has its fans and those who don't like it. :? :? :?

I don't like the number of steps described to complete a head on a Sea Habit pattern (my only intended use). Apparently, users experience shows that the surface remains tacky after curing. Some have used alcohol or acetone to wipe the surface and dry it. Then coat with Sally Hansen's, Hard As Nails to make a shiny, durable head. I can do it quite well with less steps and cost using epoxy and Hard As Nails or UV Knot Sense. 8) 8)

Jgoding
07-02-2008, 08:46 AM
Cost isn't an issue but I just really really really suck when applying any adhesive. I will always get it on my fingers and inevitably make a big mess of the fly and having limited time with epoxy will definitely be a laughable experience with me... I do like UV knotsense for some applications but it lacks any type of durability and the fact that they can't make a bigger tube for it pisses me off too....

Darian
07-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Hmmmm,.... If you're getting your fingers sticky from Epoxy, you might consider getting a release agent like Photoflow from a photographic supply store. It comes in two sizes and the one you want is the small one. It'll have enough in it to last the rest of your life.... :lol:

dip your fingertips in it when working with any tacky adhesive and you'll come away free of the stuff on your fingers. Also, the surface of the adhesive will be smoother. 8)

Photoflow really works with sea Habits, Surf Candies, etc. 8) 8)

Bob Scheidt
07-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Tuffleye has a website. You can also scroll down to my post on the same topic.
I chose not to purchase.

Bob Scheidt

Jay Murakoshi
07-03-2008, 08:19 PM
I've been experimenting with the product ever since it was introduced. The first light I had, had a problem, sent it back and got a new one. I'm not quite sold on the product yet, probably because I've used Devcon for so long that I don't go to the new items. I use epoxy and loon hard head on 95% of my flies.

Believe it or not, I'm sitting here tying flies for the first time since I've been home. Actually, I'm trying to get my hands back in shape after laying 900 square feet of tile. Only 250 sq. ft to go. It's hard on the hands and knees.

I need some good top water action to relieve my aching knees.

Jay

Just wondering if the blue light is the same light they use on CSI

Flyjunkie
07-04-2008, 08:44 AM
I've been using the Tuffleye for about 9 months now... it's interesting stuff.
You have to work with it, to get it to "shape Up" nicely, but it's no big deal. It will leave your Surf Candies Lighter then if you used Epoxy on them, so there's advantages to that...
I found out the Hard way that if you use just the Finish by itself, it shears off on the first fish that hits it, gotta use the Core, then the Finish.

Also, some of my Surf Candies I did with the Tuffleye actually Yellowed.. but that might be from the Plano box they are stored in :?

I still use Epoxy, because it adds weight to my flies, and that is useful as well... I do all my Sea Habits and Sea Habit Deceivers with Epoxy, cause with a Double coat of Epoxy on the Heads, they are damn near indestructible... I've actually started using 2 ton epoxy cause it really holds up.. thought that 1/2 hour on the rotary dryer is abit annoying..

The Initial Cost for the Tuffleye is Alright, cause once you have that special Light for Curing, the Replacement tubes of Core and Finish really don't cost much.. Finally, don't bother with putting batteries in the Special Light, just plug it into the outlet...

Darian
07-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Hey Dean,.... Good to see you back on Kiene's BB. :D :D Are you still at the Fisherman's Spot in Van Nuys :?: :?: :?:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-05-2008, 07:44 AM
We looked at it briefly for the shop and decided for now it was too expensive.

It's all a matter of "supply and demand".

Flyjunkie
07-06-2008, 07:06 AM
Hey Dean,.... Good to see you back on Kiene's BB. :D :D Are you still at the Fisherman's Spot in Van Nuys :?: :?: :?:

DARIAN,

Yeah, still at the Spot.... Been busy with lotsa stuff, so that would explain the lack of activity on this Board.... :?