PDA

View Full Version : Kiene's BB La Paz trip late May 2009 with Jay Murakoshi

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-01-2008, 08:19 AM
http://www.fliesunlimited.com/Baja_Trips.html

We are setting up our own Kiene's BB trip next year with Jay.

$1480.00 usd from La Paz double occupancy

Deposit to hold your spot is $300.00

7 night and 5 days fishing

Plus airfare, dinners, drinks, bait & tips.

Jay says next year will probably be Horizon airlines.

Group size 10-12 anglers.

Trip is for saltwater beginners to Baja veterans.

http://www.fliesunlimited.com/Baja_Trips_files/DSC_3315.jpg

Scott V
07-01-2008, 08:30 AM
I will be going on this trip, so if someone is also going as a single we can sign up together to get the double occupancy pricing.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Everyone will be paired up so no worry......

Scott V
07-03-2008, 06:10 AM
Sweet, I am already counting the days.

Jay Murakoshi
07-03-2008, 08:29 PM
The Baja 2009 response is a "barn burner" I have two, almost 3 weeks filled and the 2008 year isn't even through.
I'll be updating the web page weekly, to keep everyone informed on space available.

I have been approached by a couple clubs wanting to put together a "baja"
group. Just get one person willing to take on the sign ups and I will do the rest. But I need firm commitments.

For those of you who sign up with Kiene's, I working with Bill to do a pre-trip for the group. Which will include a short power point program, maybe a short tying demo and some spanish lessons - :D yeah right :D

Jay

Darian
07-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Hola!!! Senor Jay,.... Que paso :?: :?: :?: :?: :lol: :lol:

Lucky
07-04-2008, 10:31 AM
What dates would this be?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-04-2008, 10:54 AM
May 23 to May 30, 2009 (these are the flight days)

Scott V
07-04-2008, 04:18 PM
All I need to say is mahi tahi and I am good. I can not wait.

john
07-15-2008, 04:58 AM
Can someone post info on minimum gear requirements for this trip? Thanx john

Darian
07-15-2008, 08:01 AM
Hi John,.... Jay usually includes a list of gear in the mailing materials he sends when you reserve a spot and Kiene's shop does or will undoubtedly have some handout materials available. In the meantime, I recommend you look at some of the related websites for that type of info:

www.fliesunlimited.com

www.bajafly.com

www.bajabigfish.com

If you're anything like me, when you make your first trip anywhere, you'll be loaded up with a ton of flies of every differing type. After making several trips, I've pared down the the types of flies that're successful to smaller number and carry a larger range of sizes. Go to your local fly shop (if they have experience in saltwater fly fishing) shop for advice on flies. For 95% of my fishing, down there, I use Sea Habit patterns. The 3 best have been, Olive Sardina, Sardina and White Knight patterns. You can order them from Jay at "fliesunlimited" or buy 'em at Kiene's. You might want to get a few poppers, as well.

Successful Flies will range in size from 2" on up to what you want to use but the best flies run on the smaller side. If you tie your own, add minimal flash and don't make them too bulky. Make sure you use quality/strong hooks or get flies that're tied on them.

Learn how to make a twisted leader and to tie a perfection loop, no name and slim beauty knots for your leader systems. The big knot for saltwater is the bimini twist. Creates large/useful loops and provides some shock cushion for your connections. Practice, practice, practice.....

Lines can be floating or sinking. I prefer shooting heads and have recently switched to Airflo, intermediate running lines but you can use Amnesia or other mono running lines as well. Whether you fish on top or sinking, is your preference. You'll catch fish either way.

An adequate rod for in-shore fly fishing will be a 9 or 10 weight. Make sure the action is not too soft. You'll always come across something down there that you aren't geared up for but for most species, the weights mentioned will serve.

Reels should have a strong drag, be relatively light weight and have capacity for at least 300 yds backing. Also, pick a brand that can stand up to saltwater (corrosion resistant).

Finally, if you're not familiar with double haul casts, learn how and practice before you arrive. Most casts will not exceed 60 feet but there's always a time when you'll need it.

Remember, you'll be standing in a panga during days when the air temps approach hot, that's rolling with the swells while trying to cast or fighting a fish that's trying to pull you out of the boat. So, you need to be in good shape and strong. If you're not in good shape, start early to improve your conditioning.

Lotsa guys on this BB have been down there and will undoubtedly add there own thoughts. Should be fun.... :D :D :D :D

Jay Murakoshi
07-15-2008, 09:18 AM
John,

Darian covered most of what you'll need to know.. Yes, I do send out a information packet when I receive your deposit. It covers everything you'll need to know to make your trip and enjoyable one. I'm in the process of making up a whole new packet and invoices. For those that have deposited already, hang tight - you'll be receiving your invoice - shortly

Jay

john
07-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Thanx for the info. Have a t3 tipflex 9wt, and 10wt, and a 10wt xi2. Time to work on the better half.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Anyone who wants to go on our trip (May 23-30, 2009) needs to get a $300 deposit into Jay as soon as possible.

http://www.fliesunlimited.com/Baja_Trips.html

Contact me at the shop or by email if you have any questions.

Jay will be coming to the shop this winter to put on a powerpoint show and talk all about this trip for those who have signed up.

Jay Murakoshi
07-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Update.....

Here's an update on the Kiene Baja week ( May 23 - 30, 2009 )... There are 3 spots left in that week. I have deposits already. This week has been set aside for those wanting to join Bill and the gang.

Thanks

Jay