PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Washington

Rick J
06-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Bruce and I are headed to up southwest Washignton to fish with Scott O'Donnell for a couple of days. Unlike California, they are not in a drought and had 180% of normal snowfall so rivers are very high - a few options are open including the Kalama. We have never been up in this area so are looking forward to plying new water with our spey and switch rods - will give a report on our return.

Likely we will stop on our way home and spend a bit of time on the Umpqua

bigtj
06-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Last year the NU was already kicking out some great fish early. Be sure to swing some dries while you are there.

Fish count is 751 fish over Winchester as of the 15th of June. That's about 150 more fish than last year but about 250-500 fish less than in good years. By the time you get there there should have been over 1,000 fish over the ladder which is plenty to find fish.

If we get a cool-down, especially with some rain, it could be really good. If not...fish the early morning hours and pray to the steelhead gods, because it has been hot (High 80's in Roseburg). I hate to miss out on the 4th up there this year but with a 5-week old brand new boy in tow, we're sticking a bit closer to home this year.

Have fun,

-John

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-30-2008, 07:44 PM
I think OR, WA and BC got more snow pack than CA.

shawn kempkes
07-01-2008, 10:25 AM
the rivers are flowing at 3 times the normal level. Some of the mountains still have twenty feet of snow on them. It is going to be good late summer fishing on all the rivers in the northwest. the fish that are in the North Umpqua are likely way up steamboat creek by now. Like the early fish usually do. I fished it last weekend and the river was roaringand cold.

Rick

they just raised the limit to 6 steelhead on the cowlitz and the north fork lewis. The dams on the cowlitz and lewis have been messing with the flows so fishing has been tough. . the kalama has been busy to because they just reopened it to take of salmon. Also dont leave anything valueable in your car on those rivers or the tweakers will get it. especially on the cowlitz

bigtj
07-02-2008, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the heads up Shawn I looked at the gauge your are right it is ripping right now.

Going to be a good August this year, much better than last year.

Rick you might just want to cancel your trip and go back in August. It looks tough right now.

Cheers,

-John