PDA

View Full Version : Help with lines/heads

Jet
06-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Hey Jeff,
What type of line are you using with those switch rods? I've been using a Teeny 130 on 5 & 6 weights with a 24' head that seems to get on the bottom OK. Joey was using a 30' shooting head type 2 last night. I have a Rio Vesa tip with 15' heads for my 7 weight or I have 30' type 6 and lc 13 for stripers. Are you using a floating line with short 12-15' heads? Just trying to figure out how you adjust the depth.

Thanks,

Jet

Jeff C.
06-27-2008, 09:55 AM
I'm using a Skagit head with floating running line for my switch rod. I can change the my 12 ft. tips (floating, Type 3, Type 6, Type 8 and T-14) to adjust for depth and current. With the current flow I've been using a Type 3 sink tip..

For my single hand rod I've got 28-30 ft heads (Intermediate, Type 2, Type 3, Type 4, Type 6 and LC 13) with Rio Slickshooter running line. I use the Type 2 the most on the American. I also use a Rio Atlantic Salmon Steelhead line with a 6 ft. Type 3 poly leader later in the season when there is a lot of surface activity after sunset. I can single spey that line almost as far as I can overhead cast it.

Your Rio VersiTip should work fine but if you want to get shooting heads, I'd stop by and Kiene's and talk to the staff. I know Andy has been making his own lines by splicing heads to running lines.

Jeff C.

Ed Wahl
06-27-2008, 06:26 PM
Jet, you can also go old school and just use shooting heads with amnesia shooting/running line. Some love it(me) and some hate it. At about 5 bucks a spool it's worth checking out. Ed