PDA

View Full Version : British Columbia in August!

loganmike
06-25-2008, 06:42 PM
Hello everyone,
my buddy Pete and I are leaving from Portland Oregon on August 2nd. i am flying up there and then we are off with mass bacon, mass PBR, and an apple or two.

Anyway, the west will be our oyster and I am leaning towards heading to BC. We will have from the 3rd, to the 13th to fish, due back in Portland by the 13th.

With the big snow year and late season August could be great.

Literally the options are open, I am thinking heading to BC to fish the ELK, Kootney, etc...

Chasing trout, unless we can get salmon that we can hook every cast! But being our own little dirt bag trout bums for 10 days.

What are your thoughts, know of any guides up there? Was hoping to get a guide the first day to learn and then go from there?

If you don't want to publicly share PLEASE pm me. This has the potential to be the dirtbag trip of a lifetime.

WWDFFD? (what would dirtbag fly fishers do?) :D

thanks a ton in advance.

me

slage
06-26-2008, 07:15 AM
I don't know where the locations you mentioned are, but I had some good luck a couple of years ago in and around Whistler. The Squamish and Cheakamus are within 1/2 hour of town and provided great fishing. There is a nice shop in the village, Whistlerflyfishing.com, I think.

The staff pointed me in the right direction. They were very helpful and open about access, etc.

Sounds like fun!

FLGator
06-26-2008, 07:29 AM
I highly recommend you book Bruce Kruk (lenssportfishing-bc.com/columbia_river.htm) and chase the monster rainbows of the Upper Columbia River. Pretty sure it's like no other rainbow trout fishing you've ever experienced with an opportunity to literally land the fish of a lifetime. Fishing with Bruce is a wonderful experience as he is an incredible teacher and masterful caster. Plus, the fish of the Upper Columbia...amazing!

Take care,
Chris

Hogan Brown
06-26-2008, 07:40 AM
I have hosted trips and fished the St. Mary's River, the Elk, and Skokomchuck (spelling?) through the St. Mary's Angler out of Fernie. Google ST. Mary Angler. The St. Mary's is the bet dry fly fishing I have ever seen for west slope cuts. Much better than the elk the times I have been and it sees much less pressure. The skook is a great walk and wade fishery with amazing dry fly fishing as well. My 2 cents. Hogan brown

loganmike
06-26-2008, 07:56 AM
WOW< great advice so far, please keep them coming. I will look into all of the above.

me

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-26-2008, 08:18 AM
The lakes in BC fish beter in May/June.

Might be a little early for fall steelheading?

I know that the area around the Elk River is good July/August so that would be my main deal.

OregonSalmon
06-26-2008, 09:38 AM
About an hour east of Vancouver is (sp) the Cocahalla. Fly fishing only, single barbless hook and only open for a month which years ago was August. Really cool stream for summer run steelhead. It flows into the Frasier at Hope B.C. Great spot. And there is some trout fishing in a stream that is the beginning of the Columbia who's name I can't remember.
You'll have a great time if you don't go to Port Albernie, drink a bunch of those fortified Canadian beers, watch the "peelers" (Canadian for strippers) and mention my name. Hey, I didn't know five Canadian beers, which are more like whisky than beer and naked women together could bring out poor behavior in my usually likable self. I was a might north but things went a might south. Thank the Lord for the Canadian restrictions on guns for if anyone ever deserved some lead in his head I did.
Hey, I'm in Seaside. If things stack up like I'm hoping, you boys out to mosey out of the city and do some salmon fishing. With the ocean closed, we might have some damn good returns and if the fish stack up below 12'th ave on the Necanicum it could be a slugfest. No one even fishes it. Best biters I've ever seen. So think in October to get your ass out of that city and come see the last days of fall before the sun goes aways. Magical time of the year, one which never should be wasted indoors.

-"Sure he's crazy....but what if he's right? ----A line from SCTV on a politician running for mayor.

easymends
06-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Mike,

I saw these guys fish with super model Nikki Taylor a few years back. They seemed to get fish all day long and other than being the best looking person in waders, she couldnt cast and still did well.

http://www.davebrownoutfitters.com/