PDA

View Full Version : 5 CA congressmen ask accounting of NOAA and USF&W re del

JerryInLodi
06-25-2008, 07:45 AM
In a strongly worded letter, five California congressmen have asked NOAA and USF&W to account for their progress in restoring California's fisheries in the face of a 16 year collapse and the failure of the agencies to double fishery populations by 2002 from a 1992 base measurement.

The letter asks for a seven point response by the agencies in their participation in the Bay Delta Conservation Plan and stresses the need for scientific basis for decisions rather than influence of water agencies in fisheries decisions.

You can read more at the CSPA website, http://www.calsport.org

Darian
06-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Hi Jerry,.... I'm curious if anything will happen if NOAA/USF&W ignore the request. Obviously there's no consequence for missing the 10 year limit (or was there a limit :?: :?: )

This is not intended as a trick question. Almost every mandate I've seen passed at all levels of government do not include a consequence for failure to perform or be accountable for agency activities (good or bad).... 8) 8)

JerryInLodi
06-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Since these people are all two year terms and their terms are almost over, unless they are re-elected there would be no consequences at all. However, assuming that most will be re-elected and that agencies usually want to please congress people so that the agency's programs can move forward, I'm pretty sure there will be some response.

Darian
06-27-2008, 11:00 AM
Jerry,.... Please forgive my cynicism but I can't help wondering if this is MOS (more of the same) election year posturing by politicians (in this case, Democrats). As a statement in the first paragraph indicates it's now 6 years past the date mandated for compliance by Congress and it took them this long to take enough notice to even write a letter asking why.... :roll: :roll:

I guess I oughta be satisfied that they respond to any stimuli, other than money, at all.... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

JerryInLodi
06-27-2008, 12:02 PM
Darian, you may be confusing cynicism with realism! I don't think the lenses you are using to look at the issue are tinted either rose or blue but are made of pretty clear glass.

I'm sure the election year has something to do with it as well as their posturing and positioning due to the salmon collapse. That issue has brought the entire management practices of DFG and the governor's pressure on that agency to light. It seems that the salmon and delta issue is becoming pretty polarized with the Dems pushing for restoration/increased flows/mitigation and the Repubs caving to the water interests while using the campaign against budget increases as an excuse.

By the way, I've been a registered Republican since 1972 so my party affiliation doesn't seem to be blurring my vision.

The above is solely my opinion and should not be taken as anything to do with CSPA and their advocacy for fisheries.

Dabalone
06-27-2008, 01:47 PM
Accountable, Accountability ..... two simple words which could overnight change a inefficient and or corrupt government into one that really works and gets things done. Oh, add a third .... prosecution .... they go together.

Darian
06-27-2008, 02:19 PM
Accountability is already mandated by federal (FISMA) and state levels for civil servants; appointees and elected officials, not so much. Realistically, when things go wrong, the civil servants are blamed and disciplined, appointees are either fired or reassigned and elected officials are unaffected unless a defined criminal act is identified and charged.

Prosecution is and should remain for purposes of discouraging criminal acts in those remaining after the dust clears. Remember the old saying, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" :?: :?:

I'd like to see enforceable performance standards built into new laws. Timely enforcement to be investigated and carried out by an independent analyst/staff. Enforcement initiated by failure to meet established milestones. Appropriate consequences for failure to perform be established in the originating legislation (such as, mid-stream management team changes or budget reduction until performance increases, etc.).

The only problem is that the legislature will not comply with it's own past mandates. For example, by state law the annual budget must be completed and out to the Governors Office by midnight on a specified date. The legislature has never complied with that law. Their work around for that law is to stop the clock at midnight on the date in question. Lately they haven't even bothered with that move. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I dunno, maybe an initiative to cause individual salary reduction for legislators until the annual budget is passed.... :?: :?: Altho, I'd be in favor of going back to the past and re-establish a part-time legislature. :D :D :D