PDA

View Full Version : Getting Coils out of Amnesia

captnorm
06-19-2008, 07:16 PM
Help me here! How do you do it? Pull out to arms length and hold? That would seem to take quite a while. Any other ways to do it? :? :?

Norm

Ed Wahl
06-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Norm, sure there's another way. It involves 2 mules, 2 handlers, a dog, a piece of ribbon and a corkscrew. :wink:

If your gonna use amnesia, you're just going to have to stretch it first. Some more expensive running lines claim to have very little memory, but that's not been the case with the ones I've used.

I've gone back to using amnesia because it shoots so darn easily. Ed

Darian
06-19-2008, 08:27 PM
I forget.... :lol: :lol:

Oh Well,.... if you're going to be wading, you can strip off some of the running line, hook it round the antenna on your vehicle and stretch it that way. It won't recoil for a while. If you're out on a boat, you can strip off some of the line, hook it thru a cleat or other equipment and stretch it that way. You should be able to stretch out about 25 to 30'. 8) 8)

The best way I can think of is to hook a very large fish on your first cast and that fight will stretch it for you. :lol: :lol:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-19-2008, 09:08 PM
Seriously, I hate all mono shooting line.

I now use mostly fly line running lines.

I just got a new Airflo .030" blue 100' Intermediate running line with welded loops on both ends that was recommended to me by Andy Guibord.

I used it up on the Sacramento River Monday for Shad and it was wonderful.

You might get another 10 feet with mono but it sucks.

I used it for over 40 years..............Cortland 'Cobra' was the first then we tried every mono made looking for the Holy Grail?

captnorm
06-20-2008, 09:35 AM
I guess if I get Clint Eastwood, Sister Sara and her two mules, I can get the coils out? :evil: Just kidding! I am getting the feeling that Amnesia is a little troublesome to work with. Any other recomendations for a running line? Bill, I'll check out Airflo and I was also advised to try the Rio intermediate. Is Rio a good choice?

Thanks for the replies.

Norm

Darian
06-20-2008, 11:10 AM
I had an experience with Airflo "blue" running line in Baja early this month that convinced me to take the welded loops off any line and replace 'em with a braided loop. The welded loop connector (large one) broke during a double haul cast (forward stroke) and sent my t-14 head, leader and fly into the town of La Ventana from a panga. :shock: :shock: Apparently, the coating cracked and I hadn't noticed it. the entire loop separated from the line. :( Soooo,.... Lessons learned: inspect points where flexing might occur regularly or remove the welded loops and install a braided loop connector. 8) 8) 8)

Casting is much more pleasant with a welded loop but I'm not going to be trusting them any time soon. :wink: :wink:

Anne Vitale
06-20-2008, 01:52 PM
Norm
Before I even leave home or my camper, I heat up a small bowl of water to a medium high temp and drop the spool of amnesia into it and let it soak for at least 15 minutes. If I am at home, I then pour the heated water into a leak proof baggy, throw in the spool and drive to my fishing destination letting it continue to soak on the way. That's it. No stretching necessary. It is good for the entire day.
Anne

Jay Murakoshi
06-20-2008, 03:19 PM
Norm,
You should try the clear amnesia. I've been using the stuff over 3 decades and still use it today. All the amesia's start out clear then the mono is dyed.
This is where the coils come from.

In the stores, the clear amnesia is Hal Janssen leader control. It comes in 20lb, 25lb and 30. I prefer to use the 30lb.

Jay

captnorm
06-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I'll give the hot water a try, thanks Anne for that reply. I'll also try to find some clear Amnesia, thanks Jay! http://www.flyfishusa.com/leaders/hal-janssen.html I do have braided loops on my T-14 so I'm ok there. I will tie the Amnesia to the loop with a clinch knot as that was suggested also. I'm new to this shooting head stuff so all the help is welcomed! Oh yeah, I'll try the big fish too. Hmmm, sturgeon, what king of fly would that take?

Tight lines everyone.

Norm

Ed Wahl
06-20-2008, 07:22 PM
But what do you do about the corkscrew? :lol:

captnorm
06-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Hmmm, corkscrew, BevMo! Thanks Ed!

Norm

Rick J
06-20-2008, 07:42 PM
I use amnesia when fishing salmon and shooting heads in tide water (Chetco and Smith) and have not had significant problems with coiling - I can just stretch a section at a time by pulling it off the reel and have all the line I want to shoot stretched in a matter of a minute or two - I will sometimes periodically stretch it during the day but do not feel it has a big tendancy to coil. I also use it the few times I use shooting heads for fishing steelhead while wading and have no trouble with it.

Another good mono shooting line is Rio Slickshooter which I use quite a bit with my two handed setups with skagit heads