PDA

View Full Version : Mather 06-18

erhetta
06-19-2008, 08:08 AM
I went out there for the first time yesterday. I had a blast, but the fishing was not so hot.

I worked the edges of the weed beds and the channels with a few subsurface flys and got nothing.

About 7ish, I switched to top water and caught a couple of small 'gills near the island in the middle, right up against shore.

There were about 8 bank fisherman around the edges who all got nothing, a float tuber deep in the weed beds getting nothing, and a mini bass boat getting nothing.

I stayed out until dark and the topwater never really started. I would have expected to see more topwater action all over that lake when the sun went down, but it was very still and quiet.

Strange, but not as strange as the water at CP on Tuesday.

Hairstacker
06-19-2008, 05:06 PM
That is odd, isn't it? I've never fished there but I would have thought you'd see at least some signs of life after twilight. . . . :(

Dave4622
06-19-2008, 07:06 PM
Top water hasn't been there yet this year. I am thinking it is being fished out. Last time out two weeks ago the gills were hot up at the dam under the tree line. I was fishing dry's mostly an Elk Hair Caddis or a small Adams. The bass didnt show up that night either. Before it was made into the park it is today there were plenty of 3-6# bass hitting frogs and divers fished from a tube.
Dave

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-19-2008, 08:40 PM
Cameron Park Pond is supposed to be "Catch-N-Release" so it should be better and it was dredged out a few years ago.

Mather Pond is open to the public with normal CA limits, I believe, so it could get fished out?

koffler
06-19-2008, 09:49 PM
I used to fish it quite a bit and have seen some real toads get pulled out in years past. I've fished it 6 times this year and the #'s have been down as well as the size. Back between '99 - '04 some real pigs were in there. A sign of the times......