PDA

View Full Version : Fishing report from Reno Fly Shop

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-19-2008, 07:49 AM
Truckee River

The evening fishing on the Truckee is as good as it gets right now. There are Caddis, Little Yellow Stones and PMD'S hatching everywhere the last two hours of the day. The best days to go is when the wind stays down. The Green Drakes are hatching as well . The flows are 170 cfs in Truckee, 557 cfs at Boca bridge, 602 cfs in Farad and 484 in Reno. The flows are still a little high below the Boca bridge so be a little careful wading.

Little Truckee River

Flows are 201 cfs. This is absolutely perfect. The PMD's are starting to hatch mid to late mornings and the dry fly fishing has been really good. Nymphing with HBI's and Midges has been effective. Burk's Silhouette Dun's in size 16 are working for the dries.

East Walker River

Flows are 220 cfs. This is perfect flows for the East Walker. Yellow Stone flies should start to show any day. There has been a Caddis hatch on most days as well as some Baetis. Nymphing has been really good in the mornings. Check the flows before you go, the East Walker fishes best when the flows remain the same for a couple of days.

East Carson River

Flows are still in the 700 cfs range. If you look at the flow chart the water is still going up and down about 100 cfs a day. It is probably fish able but with so much else to do, wait another week or so to hit the East Carson.

bigtj
06-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Keep an eye on the weather forecast. It has been the windiest spring and early summer I can ever remember up here. We have a forecast for some really windy weather over the weekend. Downcanyon wind in the evenings can really kill the fishing. Try to pick nights that are less windy if you can.

Bill Markwood
06-19-2008, 07:26 PM
I was on the East Walker last week and it was slow. I always suspect that the culpret is me, but other people I talked to were having the same resuts. I got some action on a black WD-40 and that was it. Beautiful scenery though. Birdgeport looking west is a sight to behold.

markem8
06-23-2008, 11:22 AM
I fished the East Walker on Saturday. The reports were mixed, but I had some good luck. Mostly browns and a couple of bows. The fish of the day was holding in some slow water against the opposite bank slurping on dries. As I tried to cast to it, the faster current would make the fly drag before I could get it to the fish. Finally waded out so I could dap the fly right in front of the fish. Got a hit on the first try but missed, then it refused the fly. Switch flies and it came to look but the fly dragged just as it came up (rats). Switch again and finally got him! Beautiful 19-20 brown that was very thick. What a blast and challenge! Wish I had camera with me.

Tried the East Carson on the way home on Sunday but it was still flowing big and didn't have any luck.