PDA

View Full Version : Delta 6-14-08

Hairstacker
06-16-2008, 12:50 AM
My son Stephen and I fly fished the Delta in the morning out of our inflatable kayak. (What else? :lol:) Beautiful morning with almost no breeze -- just what I was hoping for, as he had never been out there before. I gave him a size 2 green/yellow deerhair diver to try out and it wasn't long before he was casting and retrieving it like a pro.

I took him to a long bank with varied cover (boulders, tules and lay-downs, timber, pipes, trees, etc.) where I was confident he couldn't miss and paddled the kayak while he made casts right up against some great cover and employed a pop-pause-pop style retrieve. Sure enough, it wasn't long at all when a bass toilet-flushed his fly and shocked him into, uh, yelling. :lol: Alas, he didn't hook up on that one but he did start getting into them. Then he got this big one: :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/Delta200806-142.jpg

Man, what a great fish! \:D/ As you can imagine, it put a great, sustained bend in his rod and was quite a thrill. (Actually, I think I was more excited than he was. :lol:) I must say, he played it perfectly! =D> After that one, he decided he wanted to take a break and relax, so I started making some casts while he steadied the kayak. A little while later, I got this one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/Delta200806-141.jpg

I had a good time with this fish. Although it taped at over 18" long, it wasn't in the same league as his fish, which was just fine, as I felt he had earned and deserved the honor of catching the biggest fish of the trip.

After that, the action seemed to turn off around mid-morning, so we packed it in. The funny part, though, was when we got home and my daughter looked at the picture of his fish and then looked at mine and said, "Hey dad, I thought you said it took skill?!?" :lol: No matter how you slice it, a great day! :D

mikenewman
06-16-2008, 05:01 AM
Wow - what a way to start your Delta Topwater career! Those photos would look great in Bill's warmwater gallery - Hairstackers Snr & Jr.

Congratulations, Stephen and here's to many more \:D/

Mike

Scott V
06-16-2008, 06:36 AM
Nice fish Hairstacker Jr. it is nice to see the kids out fish their dads.

Darian
06-16-2008, 07:02 AM
Hey Mike,.... What a great Father's Day and time you must've had. Your sons smile says it all. Wonderful what a big fish will do for everyones mood.... 8) 8) If that keeps up, you'll probably be buying a second kayak soon.... :lol: :lol:

Adam Grace
06-16-2008, 07:49 AM
Wow, what a great Father's Day fishing trip!

Good for you both. :thumbsup:

slage
06-16-2008, 07:53 AM
Nice!!

erhetta
06-16-2008, 08:08 AM
Awesome fish!!!
Thanks for sharing the story.

Tony P
06-16-2008, 01:18 PM
That's the way to get the kids involved =D> ! What a beautiful bass :eek:

Tony P

P.S. The kids always end up with the big fish of the day :D

Steve Potter
06-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Now that's what it's all about!! Breaking in on top water!! It doesn't get any better.Great job
Steve

k.hanley
06-17-2008, 07:21 AM
Cheers to you and Stephen! \:D/
Ken

TMS
06-17-2008, 11:54 AM
That's one happy kid, Mike. What time did you guys launch? Did low tide come while you and your son were out floating?

Nothing like catching some fish with your children. Thanks for sharing.

Later...

Thom

Hairstacker
06-17-2008, 08:27 PM
Stephen and I sincerely appreciate all the warm thoughts, thank you very much everyone! I know I was very lucky to have such a day.

Thom -- we got there a little after dawn and, yes, the tide was on its way out. We didn't stick around for the bottom of the tide.

TMS
06-18-2008, 06:27 AM
Mike, for those of us who are still learning the ways of the Delta what are your fishing technique suggestions for out going tide and subsequent low water. I know that targeting the weed mat line is one method. Do you go sub-surface more at low tide?

Thanks, Mike.

Later...

Thom

Hairstacker
06-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Thom, as long as water temps will support topwater action, I never go subsurface anymore on the Delta regardless of tide. In fact, during the topwater season, I don't even carry any subsurface flies. Keep in mind, though, I'm only talking about the Delta -- I treat all other waters differently.

I don't fish the out-going tide any differently until the water level gets down to the point where the bank and/or flats become too shallow to sustain any fish. At that point, my obvious solution is to move out to the weed edges and other cover that is either in or borders deeper water. But keep in mind, I also fish such deeper water cover near the top of the high tide. I will also fish a bank with acceptable water depth during low water. I guess it just depends on what I think is happening on a particular day. You try to find what you think is a pattern and stick with it for as long as it works.

As far as fishing at dead low tide when the water has stopped moving, who knows? For me, that is usually a good time to schedule a nap, eat lunch, or just get in some casting practice. If anyone has figured out what topwater approach to take at the bottom of the tide when the water has stopped moving, I'm all ears. :D

TMS
06-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks, Mike.

Richard
06-20-2008, 08:56 PM
What a day!!! I suspect he may be interested in going back for more now. :D Bring him along to the next Delta outing and let him see what happens to people who keep fishing their entire lives. On second thought :lol: