PDA

View Full Version : Line for Sage Z-Axis 5110?

mkrawec
06-13-2008, 06:10 AM
I just picked up one of these switch rods and I'm looking for a line for two handed casting. I'm currently using a 6wt air flo 40+ with 10' poly leaders and that's not a bad set up but I want one of the floating shooting head systems like AFS, Vision, or elixir. Without going the custom cut route, I guess my choices are AFS 4/5 @300gr, Elixir 5/6 @295, or Elixir 4/5 @245gr. Given that I'll be using air flo floating and sinking 10' poly leaders to fish soft hackles and small streamers am I better off going with the lighter Elixir 4/5 to make sure I don't bog down this small rod? Thanks for any advice and I'm open to any other options.

Mark

aaron
06-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Mark,
I got a chance to play with that rod a bit a while back. Don't underestimate the pop it has. I really liked an AFS 5/6 on it, never felt bogged down with this line. Just to push its limits we loaded a skagit close to 450 grains and albeit heavy, it still handled it.
Hope this helps.
-a

mkrawec
06-16-2008, 08:49 AM
Thanks alot Aaron. Finding the right line is the hardest part of two handed casting for me. How's the pram? I think I traded my pram to you for a 3wt.

Mark

aaron
06-16-2008, 08:07 PM
Mark
Pram is great...when I can pry it away from my dad. He's putting it to good use up in Oregon as we speak. Good luck with that rod.
-aaron

double ipa
09-29-2008, 09:32 PM
rio steelhead-salmon 7wt single hand line works well on this rod with a 10ft tip or dry fly and even nymph-indicator too.

dtp916
10-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Have you tried one of those Sage Indicator lines yet? Supposedly their designed for the Z-Axis switch rods.

Grampa Spey
11-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Rio has its 2009 short head Skagit lines available.

Check with Simon to see what short head Skagit line he recommends or Chris Andersen at Sage.

Some guys like the AFS 5/6 with this rod. Being short, old and with poor casting skills, I have problems with heads longer than 2.2 to 2.5 times the rod length with my switch rods. The AFS lines work very well with my 12-13.5' Spey rods.

With the Z Switch rods, a lot of the fly shop guys use them with indicators and line them up with Rio's one handed Steelhead lines, 2 sizes over the Spey size. So the Rio one handed Steelheader size 7 should work.

Many of the fly shop guys use the Z7110 as their meat rod with the size 9 Rio Steelhead one hand Line. After a recent trip on the Trinity, I will be buying a size 9 Rio Steelhead one hand Line for my Z7110. The line is a perfect match for indicator fishing from a driftboat, roll casting from the shore, and rocks with overhand/underhand casts.

So the size 7 Rio Steelhead one hand line should be a great match for your new Z5110, which double ipa recommended.

Leader/tip wise keep them shorter than the rod.

I just picked up one of these switch rods and I'm looking for a line for two handed casting. I'm currently using a 6wt air flo 40+ with 10' poly leaders and that's not a bad set up but I want one of the floating shooting head systems like AFS, Vision, or elixir. Without going the custom cut route, I guess my choices are AFS 4/5 @300gr, Elixir 5/6 @295, or Elixir 4/5 @245gr. Given that I'll be using air flo floating and sinking 10' poly leaders to fish soft hackles and small streamers am I better off going with the lighter Elixir 4/5 to make sure I don't bog down this small rod? Thanks for any advice and I'm open to any other options.

Mark