PDA

View Full Version : Help with fishing around Fallon Nv.

Digger0038
06-07-2008, 10:40 AM
I recently had to move to Fallon Nv. from Lodi Ca. I started fly fishing a little over a year ago and loved the Lodi area because you were less than an hour from many fishing areas. Do any of you know of any areas around the Fallon area that are decent fly fishing spots? Your help is always appreciated.

Scott V
06-07-2008, 02:07 PM
You moved to Fallon, I thought the only thing out there was sand dunes "Sand Mountain" and the military base. Next time I head to Sand Mountain I will stop on by and say hi.

Why the move to Fallon?

I just looked on Goggle earth Iand I can see a river running through the north end of town.

Digger0038
06-07-2008, 08:01 PM
LOL......Yeah , that's about all I see out here is sand. My parents live out here and offered to help us out since the construction industry in California went bust. Your more than welcome to stop by anytime. Shoot if your free one weekend and give me a little notice we can even fish the Truckee. We can also pontoon in some of the sierra lakes. Keep in touch.
Dave

Ed Wahl
06-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Digger, I believe those marshes in the Fernly area are loaded with fish. Not sure what kind, but I do remember reading some good reports. Pull up Google Maps for your area, click the satellite photo button and start searching for small ponds or stock tanks. You should be able to find some good Bass and Panfish spots that way. Ed

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Check Monte at Hendrix Wholesale Sporting Goods in Fallon.

His email address:

mont_hendrix@yahoo.com

bigtj
06-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Carp in the ditches is what I hear in Fallon proper. Best bet though is the Truckee . You'll have to drive a ways but it's worth it. My neighbor is a top gun instructor, he drives from Reno to Fallon nearly every day.

Keep in mind there are a lot of small trout streams in the mountains of Nevada. You aren't that far from Austin and Winnemucca, lots of fishing opportunities there.

If you can get a copy of Dickerson's book on Nevada, and Dave Stanley's book, you'll have all the information you need. Try Reno Fly shop for both. Dave can undoubtedly give you more info.

If you are a hunter Stillwater can be great for ducks, too, so you can branch out a bit if you're into it. When in Rome...

Digger0038
06-08-2008, 08:02 AM
Thanks you guys for all the advice. I went to the store to ask about a Nevada fishing licence and they told me I had to be a resident for 6 months or I have to purchase the visitors licence at 3x the cost of the regular Nevada license.....what a scam!!! Anyway I guess I will be purchasing a visitor license next week sometime. It's either that or sit and look at the dirt in the back yard. I will definetly check out your suggestions....Fernly is only 1/2 hr from me I may take a drive out that way just to explore.....Well off to google maps I go. Hope to post some reports soon.

bigtj
06-09-2008, 12:36 PM
Digger,

I think the 6-month rule is in effect for most states in the nation. Look at the bright side; you can fish in CA for a big discount this year. Next year it will cost you over $100 for a non-resident CA annual license.

By the way I forgot to add to my response that you are within striking distance of some really great eastern sierra waters both north and south. And don't forget Pyramid lake! Start looking at waters like the Pit, McCloud, East Walker, etc...lots of opportunities. And what you will find is a lot less traffic - both car and foot - on the east side.

Don't forget to call or stop by Reno Fly Shop. Some of the best trout fishing of the year is on tap right now.

Have fun,

-John

Digger0038
06-11-2008, 08:07 PM
I may make a trip to the Reno fly shop this weekend just to get some more advice. I appreciate all of the help you all have given....Thanks guys.... :D