PDA

View Full Version : Oregon and Washington fly fishing in June

medfly
06-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Hey everyone, I was hoping to get some help with gathering some information. I am heading up from Sacramento on a trip through the cascades, taking me through oregon and washington and hopefully onto whistler. I have about 12 days and will be camping with my golden retiever and girlfriend. I have been flyfishing california for 15+ years but know nothing about oregon or washington fishing. any information on rivers, flies, where to go, etc. would be greatly appreciated. i am really interested in trout and steelhead, i have a 4 wt and 6 wt and no money for much else. im a medical student, and likely wont get much time other than this for fishing this year, so i really want to to this properly. thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!

bigtj
06-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Best advice I can give is pick a couple areas and focus on them and try not to cover too much territory. If you try to do it all you will spend too much time driving and not enough time fishing. June is a bit of a slim month steelhead-wise, there are a few rivers with a small number of summer runs, but overall it's a much better month for trout. As far as Oregon and Washington trout fishing goes, you will find much better fishing - but higher temperatures - in the eastern part of those states. Bend or the Klamath Falls area would be a good place to spend some time. However, right now runoff is going so might want to concentrate on tailwaters or lakes. I don't know eastern washington as well as Oregon but you could also look at the Ephrata area (rocky ford and surrounding lakes).

I was up in the Whistler area last June and I found out that it can be a slow time for river fishing, with runoff going full force. But maybe later in the month it could be OK for Dollies I don't know. There are also lots of lakes in BC and June is prime-time lake fishing so you might want to take a float tube and concentrate on the lakes.

Mosquitos are as bad as they are going to be all year so take a tent and plenty of bug stuff!

In the future if you want to do a similar trip and want to focus on steelhead try late September. The weather is great and you will find numerous opportunities for trout and summer run steelhead in Oregon, Washington and BC.

You might want to post your question on Oregon and Washington westfly or the Washington Fly fishing bulleting board. Don't expect these guys to cough up too many secrets. Usually a local fly shop is the best way to get info. Kaufmann's in Bend, Creekside in Salem, and Trophy Waters in Medford are good shops for Oregon, Kaufmann's in Seattle could shed a lot of light on Washington. The shop to talk to for BC is Whistler fly fishing in Whistler.

TaylerW
06-01-2008, 11:45 PM
im up int point roberts so if you want to join me for some coasties i will take you out on the boat and we can catch some fish...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-02-2008, 04:35 AM
Stop in Dunsmuir on the Upper Sac for sure either coming or going on Interstate 5. Go into the Ted Fay Fly Shop for advise.

Stop on Hwy 97 in Chiloquin, OR to fish the Williamson River.

Out of Bend, Oregon on hwy 97 you can drive to Camp Sherman and fish the Metolius River. It's Green Drake may fly hatch time there now.

Several fly shops around Bend, OR and one in Camp Sherman?

You can fish the Upper Rogue River, Holy Water, as it's salmon fly hatch time there.

You can fish the Deschutes River as it's salmon fly time there too.

Check with the Kaufmann's Fly Shop in Tigard, OR near Portland for info up north.

Rick J
06-02-2008, 06:18 AM
Check out this site - Scott O'Donnell/Mike McCune and Ed Ward - this year, Scott is guiding the southern Washington rivers for summer steelhead and Bruce and I are going on a trip in early July with him. I believe much of these rivers are accessable from the road - not sure what time in June but you may find a few summer fish

http://www.speywater.com/SW_Washington/Index.html

Rick J
06-02-2008, 06:23 AM
PS - if you send me your e-mail I can forward you a couple of articles on these rivers - can't seem to send attachments via the private message route.

best regards,
Rick