PDA

View Full Version : Russian River shad.......

lee s.
05-31-2008, 09:58 AM
I know it is not 50 fish days nor world class shad ventures but Susan and I enjoyed a fun relaxing evening on the Russian yesterday. 8)
We got a couple to hand, Susan broke off a couple , and we flat out missed 4-6 grabs each. :roll: No, not 20 fish evenings as a rule, but fun relaxation without the 2-3 hr drive required for other venues. :wink:
Oh yeah. Chester and Rose thoroughly enjoyed stirring up the vineyard silt from the bottom of the river while "murdering" their ball. :lol:
.....lee s.
P.S.-
Niel,
As to your question as to color....as long as it is generally bright, what YOU have confidence in is most likely best. Our confidence leans very much to chartruese, flo. yellow, and pearl flashabous.
Like Jeff, we have found #10-#14's to be much better bugs IN SOME PLACES. At Verona they still respond to big bugs just fine. On the Russian we have gone to mostly small bugs in the last few seasons. The few times we have fished the American, small bugs were in order. We have found natural colors to be better for us in the very clear water of the American, but the bright colors to be better on the dingy water in the Russian. We are curious if maybe small/big bug has to do with fish density. The Russian used to have many shad and big bugs worked then. Now with severly dwindling runs, smaller bugs seem more effective.
Great #'s of fish at Verona and big bugs/ smaller #'s at American and smaller bugs.......? :?:

Jeff C.
06-03-2008, 06:42 AM
Hey Lee S.!

I'm glad to hear that you and Susan are getting into a few in your backyard river. Size 8 and 10 Surf Candies worked great on the Lower A. early May but a size 10 Bloody Mary has been knockin' 'em dead the past few weeks. There are few shad in the Upper A. but they are not holding and are just moving upstream. It should be good in a couple of weeks.

Jeff C.