PDA

View Full Version : Baja Report

Jay Murakoshi
05-31-2008, 07:43 AM
Here's a wrap up on the week of fishing here in La Paz.

The fishing kinda tapered off a little from last week but if you were in the right spot at the right time, you had some big fish. A couple days of wind but mostly from the WEST. The temperature the past couple days has risen into the high 90's. Yesterday was 98 degrees. A couple guys from Idaho seemed to get a little heat related sickness. Like I tell them, drink a lot of water and less alcohol

Lot's of big dorado were found at the buoys, but they are starting to get hammered by many boats. But don't fret, give it a few minutes to relax and most of the time the dorado will be back. Dorado in the 25 to 35 lb range have been caught by fly anglers. Cape to get bait and fish the waters. We've run into a few captains who are completely inconsiderate of others. We had one cut us off at a buoy as we were approaching. The captains exchanged a few words and I exchanged a few words with the Americanos. I guess it's not there fault but they are part of it. The same thing happened on the beach when one of my guys had a rooster in the 50 lb range on. The cruiser snagged his line and they trolled close to us. I thought there was going to be a fight.
The roosters have been pretty good size this week. We landed one yesterday around 30 to 35 lbs. There was a boat out there filming for a TV ad here in La Paz that wanted our fish to shoot for there advertisement. We told them a 1,000 peos's for our captain and you could have it. They told us all they could catch was needle fish and a small jack. TOO BAD !. But after I revived the fish for 20 minutes, I released it and we took off. I think they follow the fish and snagged it because we saw them pulling in a rooster that wasn't fight too hard. What a cheap and dirty way to do an advertisement.

Other species caught were BIG skip jack, pompano, lady fish, big eye jacks, cabria, one sierra. Way outside, we also found a pod of whales. We waited and tried to get closer to get some photo's but they sounded as we slowly approached. I was able to snap off a couple shots. We also had dolphins swimming with the boat

New group coming in today. My time is getting nearer - my own bed :)

Can't wait for top water bass and hopefully some shad

Jay