PDA

View Full Version : Delta Bass-n-Fly Challenge update.....................

k.hanley
05-30-2008, 05:45 PM
I just got home. I'm exhausted. This morning we launched 32 teams with over 60 participants. Awesome day. Great fun. More details to come after I get some sleep! I'll try to post the results in a day or so.
Cheers, Ken

J.R. Hubbard
05-30-2008, 07:29 PM
What a great day!!!

You guys really pulled off something special today...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-30-2008, 08:16 PM
It was a great event for the Bass-N-Fly Team with great weather to boot.

The largest fish was a LMB of 11# 10oz caught on a Clouser Minnow by the two man team representing Bob Nakagawa's fly shop, Sierra Angler in Modesto.

The biggest 5 fish limit was over 18# caught on olive Dahlberg Diver. These guys won almost $2000 for the biggest limit.

My boat partner Terry Jenkins got a nice one that was 4# 11oz on top water.

They had a great raffle and barbque after the weigh in. Lots of fly fishing fans showed up for the weigh in.

J.R. Hubbard
05-31-2008, 08:03 AM
I fished with Keith Westra from Leland's and we placed 3rd. I caught a LM at 7lbs 13oz also on top water...at 6:15 am!! What a rush!! I was the big fish leader for all of 2 minutes. The guy that caught the 11lber was right behind me. Talk about a depleter! What an amazing fish he caught.

The whole event was very well planned and went off great. You could tell a lot of planning went into the even from how well it ran.

k.hanley
05-31-2008, 12:31 PM
On May 30th the inaugural event for the Delta Bass-n-Fly Challenge took place near Stockton, California on the Sacramento/San Joaquin Delta……. 32 teams participated in the competition, 63 contestants total. Anglers came from throughout the Golden State. In addition there were competitors from New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, and Wisconsin.

This was an amazing opportunity to be part of something new. Not only are fly fishers being exposed to another experience, the event was also built around the concept of providing a platform for conventional bass anglers to learn about, and appreciate, the application of fly fishing tackle & tactics. It was an eye-opening competition for everyone involved. Friendships were made, alliances strengthened, and an outstanding fishery was celebrated. Future tournament experiences are being developed.

Top Team Standings and Winnings follow:

1st Place - $1985 - Steve Potter & Chuck Sterni Total weight (18 lbs. 8 oz.)
2nd Place - $1050 - Mike Baisdon & Russ Owens Total weight (18 lbs. 4oz.)
3rd Place - $560 - Keith Westra & JG Hubbard Total weight (13 lbs. 9 oz.)
4th Place - $250 - Robert Johnson & Mike Wier Total weight (11 lbs. 9 oz.)
5th Place - $200 - Jake McKettrick & Keith Price Total weight (11 lbs. 4 oz.)
6th Place - $175 - Willie Cook & Bob Arwine Total weight (11 lbs. 2 oz.)

Big Fish - $300 – Mike Baisdon (11 lbs. 10 oz)

All 32 team standings will be available on the bass-n-fly website: www.bassnfly.com

Thanks for everyone's support and participation!

k.hanley
05-31-2008, 03:34 PM
Dang JR,
I was just alerted that I mispelled your name. Sorry 'bout that. Congrats again a great effort. I'll be sure to make the correction in our press release.
Cheers, Ken

J.R. Hubbard
06-01-2008, 06:42 AM
I reply to all initial these days, so it didn't bother me!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Even if you don't enter the next Bass-N-Fly Delta Tournament it is worth coming at 2pm for the weigh-in and free barbecue.

All you need is a outboard skiff, live well, bow mounted electric and two fly fishers.

We set up a live well by using a big ice chest and a $35 aerator. We put 'Rejuvenate' in the water to keep the fish healthy. When we got to the weigh-in those bass were so wild we could barely get them out of the live well.

Most of the big fish were taken in the morning on an out going tide. After That it was slow going for most.

I can't wait for the next one.

It is "Top Water Time for LMB" so get down to the Delta.

Week days are way less crowded too.

mikenewman
06-01-2008, 09:51 AM
J.R.

Congratulations on a splendid topwater bass!

Sounds like the whole event has been a terrific advertisement for the Delta's "alternative" fly season. :thumbsup:

Mike

k.hanley
06-01-2008, 05:37 PM
I thought everyone would enjoy this picture of Steve Potter and Chuck Sterni. First Place winners. Check out the smiles! I love it.
Cheers, Ken

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w155/pacificextremes/BnFFirstPlaceWinners-PotterSturni.jpg

Photo courtesy of John Sherman.

Mike Churchill
06-01-2008, 05:47 PM
I'm curious, can anyone estimate the ratio of LMB to smallmouth to spots?

I saw the the biggest LMB was over 11 pounds. How about the biggest smallie and spot?

Also, I know stripers didn't count, but were very many caught?

Mike

J.R. Hubbard
06-01-2008, 06:53 PM
I don't think I saw anything LMB's...

That 11lber was unreal. I was so happy to witness that. It's jus a toad. I would imagine it will on the cover of somehhing soon.

k.hanley
06-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Mike thanks for the interest in our event. I believe LMB were the only species presented at weigh-in. It was easy to tell by looking at the mouth structure in relation to the eye... LMB have a hinge that passes the eye position....Spot hinges reach the middle of the eye. Though it certainly is possible that a smaller spot could have been in the collection.

LMB and Spots were both legal catches. Stripers -- no go.
Cheers, Ken

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-02-2008, 09:49 PM
http://www.bassnfly.com/Tournament%20Results.html

Bass-N-Fly Tournament results on link above:

Terry Jenkins and I came in 14th out of 32 teams with only 3 fish instead of 5 which isn't bad for a couple of "old dudes".

Can't wait till next time.................

Ryan Miller
06-04-2008, 08:23 PM
It was great to be part of this historic event. I am hooked, I would like to retire and fish fly only tourneys until I die! (slight exaggeration)

Anyway, the Bass-n-Fly team did a great job, the events was well scheduled. My partner I am didn't do all that well, but it was still a kick.

I WILL be looking for the next one!

Thanks again,

Ryan