PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Lake report

Troutstalker55B
05-30-2008, 06:25 AM
Fished the lake from Tuesday to Thursday, and yet again another red hot opener. The last two springs have fished better than the magic time of November - I'm scratching my head on this one. Lake level is about what we had last fall, and water temps in the south lake at 55. Perfect trout weather as well, mild temps during the day and night, partly cloudy with some thunderstorms - Though Tuesday afternoon it rained hard from 3-7pm.

The four of us fished off wildcat point and west to the tulles, the hot bite was from 5am to 9am, evenings were worth going out between 5-7pm as a few fish were caught then as well. On average we each touched about a dozen fish a day, with the average size about 3.5 pounds but there some bigger fish and that was good to see. The fish were packed full of scuds and beetles. All fish were caught from shore and if you could cast to the first ledge you had fish. Just a 12 foot leader to 4x with a peacock or brown wiggle tail with lead on a floating line was all it took - The old stand by.

Headed back up next Tuesday, can't wait!

Jonny B.

FRSam
05-31-2008, 05:07 AM
Geeeze Jon after reading your report you make it sound like just about anyone could do it. There is a bit of technique involved there and I know you've got it honed down so it's almost second nature to you - but it is encouraging none the less. Wish I could of been there.

Thanks for the great report.

Pete

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-31-2008, 05:34 AM
I have heard that the opening week can go good for fly fishng some years.

Great report.....................thanks.

Troutstalker55B
05-31-2008, 01:24 PM
Thanks Bill,

Cool, cloudy weather goes a long way in spring time at eagle. In regards to the south lake, even when water temps do rise the fish still like to hold on that first ledge - And at some point they have to come in and feed, you only hope your there when it happens. In 02 I had rented a place with the family only expecting to troll flies with them since water temps were over 70 in the first week of July, well for three mornings in a row off shrimp island my brother and I C&R double digits on orange scuds. Perplexed, I took water temps in various places and low and behold I found the springs that were at 63 degrees! To this day it still blows me away we did so well, when it was so hot. Yeah I know, not the norm.

I'll post another report when I get back.

Jon Baiocchi

Troutstalker55B
06-07-2008, 06:30 AM
This trip was almost the same as last week, numbers were down a bit but I had three days of the North wind to contend with. Wed. was as cold as a early Nov. day. Same patterns and locations as before, and the hot bite it still 5am to 9am. With all the cool weather I'd say the fish should be in the shallows for a few more weeks.

I love that lake, the fish are SO angry!

Jonny B.