PDA

View Full Version : SAGE Z axis 7110-4 B

cal_fisher
05-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Hello, Line sugestions please.
It must be me, either combination feels too heavy for this rod.

Thanks

What I have...

Rio
Skagit 350gr, 120' body, 27' head.
15' Skagit floating tip
15' 8wt 9 (109 gr) type 3,6 sink tips

Jasonh
05-29-2008, 02:28 PM
For this rod a Rio 550 cut back to 460 grains or around 22' feet it great. I got this recommendation from Mike McCune who has done a lot of work with these lines and switch rods. It will handle 150 grains tips and t-14 just fine. Hope this helps.

Rick J
05-30-2008, 11:46 AM
I agree with Jason - if you are casting in true skagit style, that system should not be heavy.

This spring when fishing with Scott O'Donnell, I acutally used a 650 skagit cut back to 24 feet with 7' of T14 and while this was some heavy, it flat flew - that system works better on the 8 wt

Don Powell
05-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Excellent casters like Jason H., Mike McCune, Rick J., and Scott O' Donnell throw the "cut-back" 550 or 650 with grace and beauty. When I try to do it I look like I'm firing a catapult in a Ben Hur movie...

I suggest the Scientific Anglers Single Hand Skagit 7 wt @ 360 grains and 23 feet. You will throw a 15' floating tip and the 15' Type 3, 6, and 8 very well. Use T-8 in lengths up to 15'; 10' will cast very well.

If you want to "Skagit" spey cast, remember the rules: 3.0-3.5 total head length...that maxes at 38.5' for your 7110 and you are throwing 42' with the line you own.

Start where I suggest for optimal casting/fishing enjoyment. and when you reach "jedi" status you can throw the heavy stuff. (Even a novice can crank out "fishing casts" with the heavy set-up when you're fishing heavy, deep pocket water...I got a 10#er on the Kalum in April 'cause that's what was required)

It's all about trying different stuff and seeing what you prefer, but you better be versatile if you want to catch fish!

Don

Terry Thomas
06-12-2008, 08:19 PM
I guess I'll throw in a little differing view here. To me, these "swithch rods" are meant to throw medium to light flies. They are light and responsive and just fun to cast. It is puzzling to me why someone would want to chuck a big ole skagit on these crisp little rods. If I want to cast the "big uglies," I pick a bigger stick. My suggestion for that rod would be a Rio AFS or Beulah switch line. From all of the posts that I have read in the last 6 months, my view is probably in the minority, but I'll stick by it.
T.

Grampa Spey
07-21-2008, 04:18 AM
I have been using Meiser and Gary Anderson Switch rods for years.

They handle big flies like 2/0 Clousers with no problem.

Where I run into problems is:

1. Underloading the rods.

2. Too long heads and too long sinktips. The short rods just don't seem to perform well with the longer heads and 15' sinking tips. The Rio Spey Versi 10' tips perform the best with my switch rods and the Rio Skagits.

Gary Anderson made me a combo Z 7110 and 7136 rod a year ago.

In the Switch mode it works very well with the Rio 550 and 650 grain heads. I use the 550 with the smaller flies and the 650 with the bigger flies and the high winds we have had the past year or so. Again the Rio 10' Spey Sinking Versi Leaders work very well if the river is deep enough. I carry the older 7' sinking Versi leaders for more shallow water.

However, the rod is a dud in my hands with either of those lines if I try to use the standard 15' sinking tips or 15 Spey Versi Leaders.

T14 sliced and diced tips up to 7-8' work well with this rod.

My Z7110 performs very well with the new Rio 10' Spey Versi Sinking Leaders and a couple of feet of tippet and the above Skagit lines.

I use the Perry Poke Skagit casts with these rods. In my old hands the switch rods are too short for classic single and double Spey casts. I need a rod at least 12' long for those casts.

Shorter head Skagits in the 550-650 grain heads should work better with this rod.

You have a great rod. Don't give up on it. Find the lines and sinking tips that work with it.

Dave

Hello, Line sugestions please.
It must be me, either combination feels too heavy for this rod.

Thanks

What I have...

Rio
Skagit 350gr, 120' body, 27' head.
15' Skagit floating tip
15' 8wt 9 (109 gr) type 3,6 sink tips

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-21-2008, 07:54 AM
I believe there is a fairly large variation in line weight for different casters.

I think I like things on the lighter side myself.

I think I am a tip caster?

I think you have to try several line combinations (length and weight) till you find something that fits your casting style.