PDA

View Full Version : Off and On

Jay Murakoshi
05-27-2008, 02:07 PM
The North wind blew this morning but it didn't stop the group from going out. A rough ride to the La Ventana area but once there, the bay was protected and the roosters were eating everything thrown at them. After the two guys in the boat got tired of catching 4 to 8 lb roosters, they wanted to venture for some big ones. We took a long, bumpy, wet ride back to the Punta Arena area and I was hoping for some flat water around the point. I wasn't disappointed. Flat with a little wind chop.

The BIG "toro's and pez gallo were every where. The first hook up was a 25lb toro and then a 15lb toro. Lot's of lady fish and small jacks.
Then it finally happened. A big splash and a BIG hook up. Padre had on the biggest thing he had every hooked in his life. A rooster that was probably 55 to 60 lbs. Fought it for 40 minutes before a KNOT FAILURE. Then the son hooked into a rooster around 50lbs and had it on for 4 minutes before *%#**!!. The dacron backing dug into the spooled backing and hung up. POW! Another big rooster gone.

For you guys coming to Baja, make sure you check your equipment, especially the backing on your reels. When you wind the backing on to the spool, make sure it's packed tight so I won't dig down to the arbor. This is the second time this has happened in two weeks. Last week we had a big dorado do the same thing

Jay

paulegan81
05-29-2008, 10:12 AM
hello jay;
sounds like the roster fishing is hot....
what flies are your guys using....
and what is your favirote fly for rosters???
if you have a pic could you postit
thanks for all your help
paul...

Jay Murakoshi
05-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Paul,

My favorite fly is the Sea Habit White Knight or the Sardina pattern. Yesterday, I had a couple guys in my group purchase some a couple white knights last night and today they caught a dorado and some roosters. They got skunked the day before with there flies. It could be the flies but the most important thing is the presentation and the retrieve

A lot of guys are using the Bubble Head Poppers and Crease Flies

Jay

bubzilla
05-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Jay,

I assume by presentation you mean that the fly needs to be delievered in close proximity to a fish that is in working near the boat, but could you eleborate on what you believe to be key about presention for roosters?

Thanks!

paulegan81
05-29-2008, 06:20 PM
hey Jay
thanks a lot..... yea when we (my brother and 10 other guys from granite bay fly casters) went down to La Paz with you the best flies were the ones you spoke of but we didn't get many rosters, or any of much size. the dorado sure tore them up....... it was prolly becouse we were in late summer.... i am tying some for a friend of mine. and he is targeting mainly rosters.... should i tie the flies a litle more sparce for rosters than we did for dorado??? of corse when you saw :roll: most of my flies you took the thinning shears to them.... :lol: :lol: what sizes are good now two years ago every body said 2/0 but when we got their the bait was bigger than ever and the 6/0's i tied at night on the third day ended up getting the bigest fish of the trip??? 32# and 42#'s two hours apart......plus a couple of others around 15-20 just to round the day out.......i cant wait to go again........ now the wife is in to fly fishing it is going to cost me double to go :lol: :lol: when roster fishing near the beaches do you have any flies that don't catch pelecans :mad:

What color on the crease flies and bubble heads??

Jay Murakoshi
05-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Bubzilla,

Close as in the feeding frenzey and I tell people to let it sink a few seconds and strip the fly as fast as possible. Which requires a good cast. If they are close in, many of my people have caught roosters by slapping water with the fly, not the fly rod.

Paul,

The 2/0 is still the size. All my big fish came on the SH WK in 3" and the Sardina in the same size. The fish that were caught today were caught on the WK.. I've gone through 7 dozen flies since the groups have arrived.
The dorado have been non-existence the past couple days. Today the water was flat the the temps were HOT. Hopefully the weather will last through next week.
We did see 10 whales this morning. I took some photo's but haven't reviewed them yet.

Jay