PDA

View Full Version : Bug warning at C.P.

Scott V
05-27-2008, 11:48 AM
I once again had my legs bitten up by something in the water on Sunday. This is the second time it has happened, and it seems to only happen when the sun is up. I have not had any bites when fishing after 5:00. So if you are going to be fishing C.P. during the day, wear your waders. You will not feel the bite til you get home, then your legs start to itch and it lasts for about a week. I am itchy right now.

If anyone has any idea of what is causing these bites, I would be really interested to know.

Tony P
05-27-2008, 01:32 PM
I had the same thing happen to me at Davis Lake & it burned & itched like crazy. I told Andy Burk about it & he told me it was probablly Duck Mites. I can't seem to find a whole lot of info about them so I guess I'll take his word for it.

Tony P

Darian
05-27-2008, 02:05 PM
Given the amount of output from the Ducks/Geese up there, I'd say it's either mites of some sort or a fungal infection.... Either way, I don't think I'd be fishin' up there until there's some effort to clean things up. :? :?

Jay Murakoshi
05-27-2008, 02:09 PM
I got the same thing last year when I wet waded Kelsey. It looks like a bad rash and really itches. i had mine for a week.

Jay

Sierra Anglers
05-29-2008, 08:56 AM
I saw a sign on a lake somewhere about " Swimmer's Itch ". Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swimmer's_itch
Bob

Scott V
05-29-2008, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the name Bob, here is what I found.

Swimmer's itch is caused by aquatic parasites (flatworms) that naturally cycle between two different hosts, most commonlyl snails and ducks.

Unfortunately, the parasite stages released from snails are unable to distinguish duck skin from human skin. When they accidentally penetrate into the skin of a sensitive individual the parasites are unable to pass through the epidermis. They soon die, causing an allergic reaction ending with the formation of a papule (i.e., an itchy spot).

Swimmer's itch, although extremely annoying and discomforting, is not a communicable or fatal disease. Over-the-counter drugs are available to reduce teh effects of swimmer's itch. Antihistamines can be used to help relieve the itching while topical steroid creams may help to reduce the swelling. Before taking any of these drugs, however, consult your physician or dermatologist for advice.

David Lee
05-29-2008, 09:27 AM
All I know is ......

I saw Scott's legs after he got hit the first time , and I sure as hell don't want that stuff !!

Wear your rubbers (waders) :P :twisted:

David :nod:

Scott V
05-29-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm just glad I was not in my float tube but my pontoon. If I was in the float tube, the water goes up to my waist, if I got bites in other places I would have been really upset. :shock:

Darian
05-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Scott,.... I'm confused by the explanation of how the flatworm does or doesn't penetrate human skin.... :? :? :

Unfortunately, the parasite stages released from snails are unable to distinguish duck skin from human skin. When they accidentally penetrate into the skin of a sensitive individual the parasites are unable to pass through the epidermis. They soon die, causing an allergic reaction ending with the formation of a papule (i.e., an itchy spot).

Does this mean that the flat worms will penetrate the skin of a non-sensitive person or any human being :?: :?: :?:

Phil Synhorst
05-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Nahhh.....Darian, he's just trying to get in good with the women on the board, being soooo "sensitive". :lol: :lol:

Scott, perhaps it's time to get in touch with the guy I've been emailing about the weeds. See if they have any plan, or force a plan to get those now non-migratory poop machines migrating again. :nod:

"Of course, African Swallows are non-migratory" ;-)

Ed Wahl
05-29-2008, 07:21 PM
You guys are way off base. As I told Scott before, those are Northern California Water Chiggers. The only known remedy is human urine.

How many really good friends do you have Scott?

Scott V
05-30-2008, 06:09 AM
Thanks Ed, I knew I could count on you for help.