PDA

View Full Version : Lake Davis

FRSam
05-27-2008, 05:05 AM
Has anyone fished Davis recently, since the plant? I'm hearing reports of smaller fish being taken, 10 to 14 inches. I know the weather has been a deterrent, high winds, rain and cooler temps. I haven't been able to get out as of late.

Pete

Rick J
05-27-2008, 06:44 AM
spent the weekend with my friend Don Rotsma who lives at the lake.

I took off early (around 12:30) Friday from Santa Rosa to try and get a jump on the traffic. 3 hours later I had managed an astounding 65 miles :cry: It took 7 hours to get to Portola!! And it was raining!!!

Got up around 7 Sat. morning ready to hit the lake - it was raining (snowing a few hundred feet higher up) and mid 30's - so we went to breakfast :) That cheered me up! Around 10:30 it kinda let up so we loaded up the dogs on Don's bass boat and gave it a shot - did not do much fishing - just really looking and scouting the area - the first cove near the dam had a few fish working but they were small - Don hooked one but it came unbuttoned. Pretty good midge hatch going on in the morning

We scoped a large school of fish around Eagle Point but they appeared to be small fish and were pretty deep - went north and did not see any activity or scope many fish. By then the wind had picked up and the rain had come back and the dogs were not happy so we retired to Don's couches and watched old movies!! Well, I watched old movies - Don napped!!

The next moring we got up a bit earlier - it was raining and sleeting so we made breakfast and watched fishing shows on the TV - we hit the lake around 10 and the weather had improved pretty much with some blue sky actually peaking through!! We slowly made our way north checking out the various bays - up north we actuallly scoped a number of fish and a good midge hatch began - moslty a size 16 light green midge - saw a fair number of fish working on midges 8) - Don hooked a nice fish around 14" and the dog went crazy! (The older dog had requested a stay at home this time). The sun actually broke out and the wind died and you could see rings (not alot but still...). We were just marveling at our good fortune when from over the mountain came a massive cloud and soon it was blowing around 25 mph and sleeting!!! So we headed back down lake and stopped off at Eagle Point and I managed a fish around 12"

Almost all the fish we scoped were pretty deep - most 10 feet and deeper and we were using sinking lines (I line) :( - not my favorite way to fish!

The water temp had really dropped - the paper had said it was in the mid 60's the week before but we mostly scoped mid 50's. We soon looked at each other and headed for Don's couches - me to watch old movies; Don to nap!!

So my report as long winded as it is - not great fishing - even the trollers were not doing much. I think it will take a few more weeks to come into shape. We did see a few blood midges but no damsels.

FRSam
05-27-2008, 08:00 AM
Thanks Rick....I hate to say it but that's kinda of what I was expecting. I'll bet you had the lake pretty much to yourselves. The weather up here has been pretty wild this last week.

I'm very familiar with that little green midge you speak of and I've never been able to do anything with it. For some reason a Zebra midge has worked fairly well in it's place.

Hopefully it won't be long before the bigger fish discover the restaurants and hopefully there will be some food there for them to eat.

Thanks for the report.

Pete

Terry Thomas
05-27-2008, 08:01 AM
Rick,
Thanks for the report. When it gets going, it should be worth a trip. Glad we had a chance to do some casting on Monday. Hope the lines work out for you.
T.