PDA

View Full Version : Gray Eagle???

Tony P
05-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Does anyone have any fishing info for that area that they would like to pass along?
My family use to vacation up at Gray Eagle Lodge when I was a kid back in the 70's & we really loved the place. I went & booked a couple a days in late July to take my wife & 2 kids up there for a little pre-vacation before our annual trip to Tahoe. Looking at the website they sure have updated it from 30 years ago. :D
Thanks,
Tony P

Troutstalker55B
05-26-2008, 07:29 AM
Tony,

For that time of year you can do no wrong fishing the creeks- Grayeagle, Frazier, and Jamison being my favorites. Yellow humpys and little club sandwhich hoppers will do well. You can also fish the MFFR but make sure you are below where Jamison Creek dumps in (Two rivers and Camp Layman). Jamison is THE source of cold water for the river in the hot months. Last couple hours of light will be your best bet using caddis emergers.

Best of luck,

Jonny B.

FRSam
05-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Jon's covered the moving water for you but you might also want to check out the Round Lake trail loop just above the Graeagle Lodge. If you take the shorter loop you'll pass by Round Lake, Silver Lake, Long Lake, Little Bear Lake and Big Bear Lake. It's about a 4 1/2 mile hike with some very good scenery.

If you bring the fly gear along you might try Silver Lake with the standard lake flies: gold ribbed hairs ear, callibaetis nymph, zebra midge, damsels and assorted smaller woolly buggers. If you happen to hit it in the evening the lakes can sometimes turn on and hitting it with a smaller griffiths gnat can be deadly.

Yeah the area changed just a bit over the years but it's still beautiful.

Pete