PDA

View Full Version : New to Steelhead fishing - help....

BigD
05-25-2008, 07:45 PM
I am looking into a rod and reel for steelhead fishing.

Has anyone used a Scierra IC3 7wt rod?

How about Sage 1680 reel?

What would be the best line to use, floating or sinking?

Please help if you can.....

TaylerW
05-26-2008, 02:55 PM
umm i would really reccomend the rio versitip, it lets you cover many different areas withou having to carry or buy a bunch of differant spools, it expenisve, but its well worth it...

Darian
05-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Hmmmm,.... your request is difficult to answer since we have no idea of what type of Steelheading you want to do (spey, coastal or river) :?: :?: Doesn't sound like anyone has any experience in the rod/reel you named, either. I would recommend going to Kiene's Fly Shop if you're located here in Sacto or to your local shop if you live somewhere else and ask for advice and to test cast some rods.... 8) 8) Then make a decision. :) :)

GeorgeRevel
05-30-2008, 12:33 AM
Man steelheading is about warm gear not about your rod!!! most important ingredient is wool and lots of it!!

bigtj
05-30-2008, 10:28 PM
Probably the best way to get into steelheading is for summer runs in August and September. That way you don't have to fight the weather, and you can fish with floating lines and unweighted flies or even dries. For that kind of fishing, a 7-wt rod would be perfect, and just about any serviceable reel, even one without a really strong drag, will work fine.

Good luck and have fun.