PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite top water and subsurface Panfish flies?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Describe or show pictures of your favorite top water and sub-surface Panfish flies.

__________________________________________________ _________

Bob Giannoni got us using the small "Sponge Spiders" back in the 1970s.

We tied them on a small (#12?) kink-shanked Mustad popper hook and pulled rubber legs through them with a needle.

I think we use Goodyear Pliobond to cement them to the hook along with heavier Nymo size A thread?

I think our favorite color was black?

I also use small hard bodied poppers for panfish.

I tell people that something the size of a honey bee would be fine.

__________________________________________________ _______

Underwater I think many use something small in black or olive too.

__________________________________________________ _________

For a fun panfish outfit today I would take a small, short rod like a 7 to 8 foot number 2-4 weight with two line sizes over on the floating line.

Andy Guibord has a TFO 7'6" #3 line 2 piece ($99) with a WF5F on it for his light panfish/small bass rod now.

We used it from my canoe in lower Putah Creek last summer which is between winter and Davis, CA. The length is very handed for going through the brush or putting down into the canoe.

That makes a perfect outfit for youngsters too.

Jay Murakoshi
05-24-2008, 12:32 PM
I would have to agree with the sponge body spiders. Use to buy them from Herter's. I still have 2,000 bodies left. Does Mustad still make the kink shank hook

Jay

Scott V
05-24-2008, 03:53 PM
My first love for top water blue's, I came up with the colors on Thursday night at a tying session I do up in Placerville. I call her "The Orange Crush" Size 12 Diaichi #1720 hook, 2 layers of 2mm red foam, 1 small piece of white 2mm foam, orange bucktail, and Neon Orange grizzly barred rubber legs, the most important part.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/IMGP0474.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/IMGP0475.jpg

As for subsurface, I'll let you know when I need to use them, right now it is all top water all day. :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Those look pretty hard to resist Scott.