PDA

View Full Version : Water vs. Revenue

Phil Synhorst
05-22-2008, 04:57 PM
I drive to Redding for work every Wednsday, so I get a good look at the flows on the Sac. Right on scheduel, they are releasing a ton of water out of Shasta to flood "Lake Red Bluff" for the boat races this weekend.

I have talked to 7 or 8 people in the Redding/Red Bluff area the past 2 weeks that use Shasta regularly for boating etc. They ALL have stated that the lake is already in bad shape, most said worse off than last year.

I know the Nitro Nationals(?) likely bring in a good amount of revenue to Red Bluff. I really can't fault a community doing what it needs to keep things going for private business and local govt. However, with another low water year, and more of Nor. Cal.'s water being sold off every year, is it a responsible thing for the local's as well as the State to let this go on this season?

Also, just out of curiousity, does anyone up there know why Cottonwood Creek was so milky this week? Is there a Mining operation west of I-5, or was it just the final runoff from that little heat wave? I did notice that the snow is pretty well gone from the western hills.

Phil

Darian
05-23-2008, 07:57 AM
Hmmm,.... That's a dilema for water managers. Do they allow a community to fill a low dam to allow a revenue producing event and local water related activities (during a low water year) or not :?: :?

In the Red Bluff case, isn't the primary purpose of the dam for water diversion and the secondary for recreational purposes :?: :?: So, the water allocation was probably purchased and used to fill the lake for diversion. The balance runs into the Sacramento River.

Not sure if that dam causes a raise in water temps during the summer months. I've been told that water drawn from the river has to be in a certain temperature range for germination of rice crops. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can confirm or debunk this....

So,.... I suppose whether it's responsible is in the eye of the beholder but is a contractual obligation. 8) 8)