PDA

View Full Version : An Eye Opening Experience

Jay Murakoshi
05-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Before I get to the "rest of the story". I would like to talk about "out of country" trips. As many of you know, I have been doing a lot of baja trips for a number of years and still run into this situation.

The past three weeks is a prime example. Whether you're going to Baja, the Yucatan, Australia or Guatamala I would like to emphazie that people should read and understand the information packages that's usually provided by company booking your trip. Especially the tackle information sheet.
I have seen way too many people come unprepared for the trip. It doesn't help the client out they arrive and don't have the proper gear to have a enjoyable trip..
I know most people are not equipped with a lot of salt water gear and most will try to get by economically. I have watched clients over the past three weeks struggle with the rods, lines, etc that they either bought and brought on the trip.

Example: Rods that are light weight and over loaded by at least 4 lines sizes for rod. Or just the reverse, heavy rods that have line 3 lines under for the recomended rod size. I was in a boat today and had the experience. This is the main portion of the topic. Also getting into shape is definitely high on the list. Stop and think, you're going to be fishing at least 7 hours in the hot sun, making at least 200 casts per day or more. Pulling on fish that want to yank you out of the boat.
If you plan on using a shooting head system and have never thrown one before, practice at home and not when you get here. Remember, the shooting head should be out of the guides before the line will travel any distance. Lift a few weights to get your forearms in shape and also work on the knees and legs.

If you have trouble trying to figure out the equipment needed for your trip, give the company or person you booked with a call. I'm sure they will help you out. Or visit your shop and get some information. I know shops like Kiene's have a lot of experienced salt water, big game anglers working there

And now "for the rest of the story"......

Today while in the boat with a client giving instructions, he got tired and his partner was sick and stayed back. He told me to fish with his rod (i don't take a rod out when teaching). So I picked up his rod with the floating line, since the roosters were busting and eating everywhere. Earlier, I had tied on one of my bubble head poppers so he could do some top water fishing. The line was way under what the rod could handle but with the right timing, you could cast it. After making a "roll cast", I went to pick it off the water and just as I did that, a slight gust of wind came up sending this wild floating line with a heavy popper right into my left eye.
Now, I don't know if any of you have ever had this experience of have this big silver and black object come flying at you. It seemed like time just stopped. It hit me dead center in the left eye. But fortunately, I had sun glasses on. It bounce from the center, to the top of the rim and then stuck into my head. Between the eye brow and my eye lid. There was blood on my shirt and hands. I'm glad the bard didn't penatrate the skin.
After figuring out where this think was stuck in my head, I pulled it out and applied some pressure to the area to stop the bleeding and then put ice on it. As some of my boats went by, I told them my captain punched me in the eye for missing the fish. All in all, things are fine.

Last but not least... Being the line wasn't up to par for the rod, the other thing was it was a standard floating trout line not designed for throwing big flies

Hope this didn't bore you

Jay

I was going to post a photo but declined

Scott V
05-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Come on Jay, post a pic, were you the biggest thing you have caught so far? :lol:

bigtj
05-20-2008, 04:46 PM
I could go on for hours on all the gear disasters I have seen in 8 years of guiding in Alaska. By far the worst was a cardiologist from Missouri who hooked an over-ripe male pink that could barely swim, but yet couldn't seem to slow it down no matter what he did to the drag. As the fish was taking out line I looked at his reel and noticed that the backing was spinning around the reel arbor! It had been put on there so loose it wouldn't "grab" on the spool arbor. Incredible anyone would come to Alaska so unprepared.

I am so glad to hear you had your eyeglasses on. I knew a guide who took a barbed fly in the eye on the Smith river in the mid-90's. Required major eye surgery, he lost his "lens" but not his eye, and he has to wear one contact the rest of his life. A big lesson for sure.

Now for a good story about the crazy things that can happen while flyfishing. In 2001 I was guiding on the Arolik. We were side-drifting for rainbows and dollies, chucking eggs and flesh under indicators. One of my guys hooked up and I immediately saw he had a dolly on. He was fishing a single egg rig so I cried out "dolly" to which he immediately replied "rainbow". Not being one to argue with my client I said "OK, rainbow". He fought the fish for a few seconds before I realized he had TWO fish on - one dolly, one rainbow! The dolly had taken the egg, and somehow he managed to lasso a rainbow with the ileader. We landed both fish, a one in a million chance. Landing two fish with one fly just doesn't happen every day!

Thanks for the stories,

Cheers,

-John

gene goss
05-20-2008, 04:47 PM
When in doubt duck.

Hairstacker
05-20-2008, 05:41 PM
Great post Jay -- "boring" it was not. Good reminder to always wear some type of eye protection. I too have hit myself around the eyes, either due to crazy wind conditions or when I set up really hard on a missed topwater strike. Fortunately (or unfortunately perhaps), I wear glasses. If I didn't, I'm sure I would insist on wearing shades. Or perhaps safety goggles? :lol:

mems
05-21-2008, 12:29 AM
Aloha Jay, glad you are ok. I bet you were happy to have a pair of habervision glasses on. My Dad once put a treble hook in my eyebrow. I looked like a punk rocker. Don't mess with your eyes. Keep the stories coming, Don.

Adam Grace
05-21-2008, 05:49 AM
During my time working for Bill I would be completely surprised about how people spend all that money to fly, stay at a great fishing location as well as pay for a guide and not spend money on proper gear. Not only can poor gear make your trip less enjoyable due to breakage or difficulty of use but you can potentially injure yourself just like what happened to you. Thanks for posting your story, people need to hear this type of story, especially if they are planning on taking a trip sometime soon.

I totally understand how expensive trips to the salt can be, especially when most fly fishermen only own trout gear and have to buy a whole new outfit or two........ but if you want to fish in the salt your gear must be in top shape because there are very little other types of fish and/or conditions that will test your gear more.

Your story is also a perfect example of how glasses are very important when fishing in the salt as well. The protection factor is as important as seeing the fish....

Thanks for a great post Jay, I hope your eye heals up soon. Keep catching those saltwater beasties!

SuperFlyGuy
05-21-2008, 10:32 AM
I was once casting from the top deck of a houseboat one time. The angle of the backcast had me casting really odd shaped loops.. In que *gust of wind*. Popper straight in the arm pit! Those things are dangerous at the velocity we're throwing them.

Tony P
05-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Jay,

I guess that would be like trying to land those carp with a 5 weight in the stick ups last time we were a SA? When are you come home I need some things.

Tony p

john
05-23-2008, 06:27 AM
Jay: I really enjoyed the post(not the fly in the eye part). I'm not a guide, but have watched innumerable guys, who, from the minute I saw them climb into boat, knew the guide was in for it. Usually starts with the rod still in the case... There's nothing that makes my day more than a guide that thanks ME for being prepared.

Dave Neal
05-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Great points that have been mentioned above. If you are going on a destination fly trip...go prepared! Listen to others advice and don't under-prepare yourself when it comes to gear.

Especially, important is the casting practice

My first saltwater trip to Belize I was told to bring everything I would need for bonefish, permit, tarpon and even snook when the conditons (wind) might force us into the lagoons as a "Plan B"...well I only went prepared for a few of the different fish species. Ended up seeing LOTS of permit, jumped tarpon and fished for snook one entire day. Needless to say I was hastily tying up crap flies and borrowing rods from the frustrated guide.

Dave Neal
05-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Jay...glad to hear you had your glasses on. I have a witnessed few scary situations regarding flies, hooks and eyes, lips, ears etc.

Recently, I heard a story that would make most (men) consider wearing a "cup" while casting to tarpon (or stripers) from the boat deck...

The poor fellow executed a funky back cast in a fierce wind...get this...the huge hook pierced (aahhhhooouuch....) his "Johnson" and penetrated his thigh too!!!! Again...that was...Johnson-hooked-to-leg-via-large-tarpon-fly. :shock:

He lost a lot of blood by the time they got in. I think he had to get airlifted to the hospital. Yaow!

Adam Grace
05-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Dave, I've heard of a story similar to that, but the hook was stuck in the friends of "johnson"........not the first place that I'd wanna be stuck with a tarpon hook :cry: ......I still can't believe that in your story he pinned "johnson" to his thigh, woweeeeee.....talk about a great reason to fish barbless!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Dave Neal
05-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Adam, well you know...the source is always a bit suspect in these great stories. After all, fishermen are the ones telling em'.

Wait till the marketing people get ahold of it...who said fly fishing can't be another incarnation of a radical, adrenaline packed EXTREME sport!!

Hope the dude had a current tetanus shot :wink:

Jay Murakoshi
05-24-2008, 06:08 AM
Adam,

Ouch :shock: I couldn't even start to think how that would feel. I've hooked my self in the butt a number of times but never the front. I guess I'll try and design a pair of kevlar shorts and market them :D

Jay