PDA

View Full Version : Toray Blackwater International Flourocarbon - Word's Out

OceanSunfish
05-20-2008, 10:54 AM
For those demanding only the best flourocarbon leaders you may want to check out Blackwater International full lineup of fishing lines.

I bring light to this product only because I doubt you'll see this stuff in flyshops already drowning in so many other flourocarbon lines offered by more notable fly line makers.

Please note that Toray/Blackwater is the Manufacturer of this flourocarbon line, not some company that puts its name on a spool of line made by a manufacturing conglomerate. Therefore, Toray is the highest generation of flouro fishing line available.

http://www.blackwaterinternationalinc.com/default.htm

(Check out the testimonials which include a couple of flyfishing enthusiast.)

Blackwater Flouro is the 'top dog' for Southern California long range Tuna enthusiast since its inception, but now Blackwater is the rage in Florida as well as in the other Gulf States.

Those headed to Florida soon will see a lot of this Flouro line down that way too.

No surprise, it's also the preferred Flouro on the BASS circuit too. Those of you who follow BASS know full well how popular this line has become of late, especially those tossing those big expensive swimbaits using braid main line and a top shot of flouro.

I am not affiliated with Toray/Blackwater, but rather just want to share in news about an oustanding product that you'll have to purchase outside the fly shop retail market.

OceanSunfish
05-22-2008, 03:54 PM
I forgot to mention that this line is precision wound onto spools. In other words, the line doesn't cross itself causing small 'cuts' which relfect light. This is truly marvelous line meant specifically to make perfect leaders. It's not a product crammed onto a small plastic spool.

There is also a model that has the most stretch vs. any other flouro on the market, which is a bonus especially when using the stuff as a top shot onto a spectra main line.

What is interesting is that Toray is also manufacturing a hollow spectra which will lay flat and add to the capacity for backing. High level Tuna fisherman have been serving their flouro top shots into the hollow braid for years now, but why hasn't this caught on in the flyfishing world where you could serve the flyline into the hollow spectra as well? Overkill?

I've seen this technique of serving top shots into the hollow braid and it's smooooooth and a undeniable super strong connection. Hey, if it's good enough for 300# tuna, it's good enough for me.

Darian
05-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Hmmmm,.... interesting product, regardless of who makes it. I suppose it's not overkill for the guys that're fly fishing for 100 pound plus Yellowfin Tuna (....landing one is still a rarity by the way) and commercial meat fisherman....

I'm assuming that the "....hollow...." flouro is a braid and the anticipated use would be for a line to leader connection. Depending on the diameters of each and the cost of of flourocarbon, stuffing the end of a fly line up a hollow flourocarbon braid doesn't seem like a good choice for my own saltwater fishing. I do splice dacron braid into itself to create an effective/smooth loop in the backing and Gudebrod braided mono to create loops for connectors. No problems experienced on many fairly large, predatory hard pullers.... Probably won't opt for the newer method until I start fishing for 100 pound plus fish.... 8) 8) 8)

Fly line manufacturers are offering flourocarbon fly lines :?: :?: I know I'm not up on everything but who's making "flourocarbon" fly lines :?: :?:
Are we talking about the core of clear tip or clear fly lines :?: :?: :?:

OceanSunfish
05-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Sorry for the confusing explanaiton. There is no such thing as a flouro fly line. I was refering to Flouro as a leader material only.

What the 'tuna guys' are doing is preparing dozens of top shots using flouro leaders prior to the trip and serving them into a tag piece of hollow spectra braid. While on board and inbetween fishing, they replace worn top shots quickly by splicing the hollow spectra braid of the flouro top shot onto the main hollow spectra braid that is on the reel.

I suppose if you could do the same with the entire normal fly line serving as the 'top shot' with a tag end of hollow braid to connect to the entire hollow backing on the fly reel if you needed to change fly lines on that reel.

With regards to flouro production, it's all in Japan. I only know of 2 major manufacturers; Seaguar and Toray. There maybe others, but I don't know them at this time. Fishing line production is 'funny'. Look at all the mono available today and the consumer really can't tell one from the other for the most part. I mean, there isn't a label printed on the line. We have to take 'their' word, right?! So, if I were going to spend $$$ for Flouro, I want the manufacturer's labeled spool. Hence, Toray/Blackwater is the highest generation of flouro available today while I suspect that the many non manufacturer's spools probably are older formulas, generations, etc. but we're still paying top dollar for older formulas.

I made inquiries at fly shops over the past year about several of them carrying Toray/Blackwater, but I received cold stone replies. I was told that they carry what their distributor offers on neat little spools because that's what fly fisherman want?! I guess it's good enough and I understand. Also, the 'fly world' wants lines produced using the X system. I just don't think you're going to see these companies spend the money to make lines, spools, etc. in the X system for a relatively small market. I know some do today and again we take 'their' word for its authenticity.

Again, I brought this to light only because I know there are super enthusiast out there that do demand only the best and would want to know about Toray/Blackwater and its impecable qualities driven by owners that are fastidious, to say the least.

Again, it's outrageous what Toray is producing in Flouro today. Thinner diameter lines that are super strong. Flouro that stretches! Precision wound spools! Lines that come in half pound increments! And, a pro staff and R&D personnel that are testing/fishing these lines constantly.