GeorgeRevel
05-19-2008, 09:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM

FISHEYE
05-19-2008, 09:57 PM
WOW!!!!!!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-19-2008, 10:15 PM
I saw it once before George........................unreal.

Jay Murakoshi
05-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Before I get to the "rest of the story". I would like to talk about "out of country" trips. As many of you know, I have been doing a lot of baja trips for a number of years and still run into this situation.

The past three weeks is a prime example. Whether you're going to Baja, the Yucatan, Australia or Guatamala I would like to emphazie that people should read and understand the information packages that's usually provided by company booking your trip. Especially the tackle information sheet.
I have seen way too many people come unprepared for the trip. It doesn't help the client out they arrive and don't have the proper gear to have a enjoyable trip..
I know most people are not equipped with a lot of salt water gear and most will try to get by economically. I have watched clients over the past three weeks struggle with the rods, lines, etc that they either bought and brought on the trip.

Example: Rods that are light weight and over loaded by at least 4 lines sizes for rod. Or just the reverse, heavy rods that have line 3 lines under for the recomended rod size. I was in a boat today and had the experience. This is the main portion of the topic. Also getting into shape is definitely high on the list. Stop and think, you're going to be fishing at least 7 hours in the hot sun, making at least 200 casts per day or more. Pulling on fish that want to yank you out of the boat.
If you plan on using a shooting head system and have never thrown one before, practice at home and not when you get here. Remember, the shooting head should be out of the guides before the line will travel any distance. Lift a few weights to get your forearms in shape and also work on the knees and legs.

If you have trouble trying to figure out the equipment needed for your trip, give the company or person you booked with a call. I'm sure they will help you out. Or visit your shop and get some information. I know shops like Kiene's have a lot of experienced salt water, big game anglers working there

And now "for the rest of the story"......

Today while in the boat with a client giving instructions, he got tired and his partner was sick and stayed back. He told me to fish with his rod (i don't take a rod out when teaching). So I picked up his rod with the floating line, since the roosters were busting and eating everywhere. Earlier, I had tied on one of my bubble head poppers so he could do some top water fishing. The line was way under what the rod could handle but with the right timing, you could cast it. After making a "roll cast", I went to pick it off the water and just as I did that, a slight gust of wind came up sending this wild floating line with a heavy popper right into my left eye.
Now, I don't know if any of you have ever had this experience of have this big silver and black object come flying at you. It seemed like time just stopped. It hit me dead center in the left eye. But fortunately, I had sun glasses on. It bounce from the center, to the top of the rim and then stuck into my head. Between the eye brow and my eye lid. There was blood on my shirt and hands. I'm glad the bard didn't penatrate the skin.
After figuring out where this think was stuck in my head, I pulled it out and applied some pressure to the area to stop the bleeding and then put ice on it. As some of my boats went by, I told them my captain punched me in the eye for missing the fish. All in all, things are fine.

Last but not least... Being the line wasn't up to par for the rod, the other thing was it was a standard floating trout line not designed for throwing big flies

Hope this didn't bore you

Jay

I was going to post a photo but declined