PDA

View Full Version : Shad limit

CapitalFishr
05-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Any hope for a limit decrease for our beloved shad? Seems like it's been an ice chest filling contest out there these past few years.

Darian
05-20-2008, 08:28 AM
I've not noticed anyone keeping a lot of Shad but would support a lower catch/take limit on 'em.... 8)

IMHO, the chances of that occurring are low as Shad are a non-native species. DFG see's them as the same as Stripers. :(

But, if you're motivated and want to propose a lower limit, you need to do a lot of research, get the attention and support of a like minded group (....a local fly fishing club or fishing publication, etc.) and sympathetic legislator who will support proposal/drafting of a bill.... etc. 8) 8) Lotsa time and personal commitment involved. 8)

If you don't do it, who will :?: :?: :?:

Scott V
05-20-2008, 09:05 AM
I've not noticed anyone keeping a lot of Shad but would support a lower catch/take limit on 'em

This is my first year fishing for shad, but from my few observations, the only shad I have seen thrown back were by the fly guys and one of the regular bank fishers I see at the hole. But all the other bank fishers kept every fish they caught. the numbers haven't been big, but they kept every single shad they caught.

Kevin Goding
06-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Shad do taste good, but man, lot of work to get around those bones. However, from what I've heard and seen depending on where you are, a lot of people collect the shad to make fish sauce out of em. That's one way to get around the bones.