PDA

View Full Version : A little help

LEARNIN' TO FLY
05-16-2008, 07:22 AM
My grandpa has gotten me into Fly fishing and I love it. I usually go to Hot Creek Ranch and fish with him and my dad, but I was wondering if any one could give me some places around Sacramento or Tahoe area that I could fish. I am still learning, so wading in is a bit of a challenge. If you know of some streams that are not to technical I would appreciate it. I really love fly fishing and would like to go more often. Any advice or help you can give me would be great.

easymends
05-16-2008, 09:11 AM
Go to Kienes Fly Shop and buy yourself a copy of Flyfisher's Guide to Northern California by Seth Norman. This book is a great reference for many streams in Nor Cal.

Darian
05-17-2008, 11:40 PM
Hmmm,.... If you aren't overly concerned about whether you're Trout fishing or not, you could catch a whole bunch of warm water fishes right in own backyard. There's any number of parks with creeks running through 'em down there. Laguna Creek runs right along Bond Road (thru a park). Lotsa space there. Noticed a pond behind the shopping center south of Elk Grove Blvd and west of Hwy 99 (behind a shopping center (There's either a Peetes or Starbucks in this center :? ). Get a local map and look up all of the ponds in that area. Further south, along I-5 and near Lodi, are the I-5 ponds (visible from the road) and there's always good ol' Rancho Seco east of Galt on Hwy 104. 8) 8)

If you're dead set on fishin' for Trout, try all of the water (rivers, lakes, and streams) reachable off Hwy 88 out of Jackson. Water available at all altitudes and on the eastern side of the Sierra's. The high altitude stuff is just now becoming ice free. Again, get a good map and mark spots to fish. Keep a log or some records for future reference and memories. 8) 8)

Enjoy the journey :D :D :D