PDA

View Full Version : My first shad - ever

Scott V
05-15-2008, 07:38 AM
Went out last night on the American to brave the winds and hopefully catch my first shad. I had a hard time fighting the wind but with those shooting heads you can cut right through the wind. Every now and then I felt a grab but no takes, but once the sun got below the tree lines I finally got a take. And so I got my first shad on a fly I tied myself in my own vartiation of the Pinky Shad fly. Thanks go out to Jeff C. for answering my questions and giving me some good info. I only landed the one but that was all I asked for, I did have another on but it got enough slack between me and it, so it came off. And it was a bigger than the one I caught. Needless to say I can not wait to get back out again.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/IMGP0453.jpg

Hey Ed, that new rod we got from Richard works great for shad.

David Lee
05-15-2008, 08:44 AM
NICE !!!!!!

David =D> =D> =D>

Jeff C.
05-15-2008, 08:58 AM
Good work Scott!! You know that 100 degree weather is shad weather. Jeff C.

Charlie Gonzales
05-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Good job Scott. So what do you think? Are they at the top of your list or are they over rated?

I have looked forward to the shad run every year of my life since my mom would let me go to the river by my self(a couple of years now). While wading for them and seeing these giant fish chase after them is how I learned about stripers.

An old friend had told me "When the cotton woods bloom there's shad in the river." I always think of him when I see the blosoms on the water.

Congrats on a new addiction.

Scott V
05-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Hey Charlie G. a great fish to catch since the bite is on the swing, but so far nothing compares to a wild steelie and its acrobatics and pure strength. But that might change if I get one of those 10+ fish days. Plus that was a smaller fish compared to what I saw.

How is the new little one and what is her name? Can you come out and fish tomorrow night?

Ed Wahl
05-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Nice Shad Scott. Which head were you throwing. I picked up a type 3 the other and tossed it in the yard. Yeah, that rod will do. Ed

Scott V
05-15-2008, 07:45 PM
Ed, I started with a Type 2 and was hitting the bottom at the end of the swing every time, I had a couple nibbles mid swing, then about 7 or so I switched to the Intermediate head and that is what I got them on. Even with the intermediateI was hitting the bottom every now and then at the end of the swing. I am headed out to the hole tomorrow night.

Kevin Goding
05-16-2008, 09:42 AM
If you don't mind me asking what part of the river were you at? My bro and I usually fish the William B (Goethe Park) area, but as far as we can tell no shad up that far yet. You can usually tell shad are up there if you go to the foot bridge and try to spot schools. It was pretty slow there yesterday, only saw two fish rise, but was mostly targeting striper anyway.

JJohnson
05-16-2008, 09:58 AM
I went out on the bridge yesterday around 4 PM - nothing showing, so went and fished down at Watt. So so, couple of grabs

Adam Grace
05-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Good for you Scott.

Mik
05-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Mini tarpon!!!!!! Those fish are hot when it's hot. I hope to see more reports.