PDA

View Full Version : May 12th

Jay Murakoshi
05-13-2008, 06:51 AM
Yesterdays fishing was pretty good. No, it was better than good.

Had two guys casting to everything from Marlin to big jacks. The morning was a beautiful sunrise and a slight west breeze. We got bait and headed out to the buoys, hopefully for some dorado fishing. The first stop, we found what we came for, dorado. Most fish in the school were "chicken" dorado but hey, it's dorado. They ranged in size from 5 lbs to maybe 10lbs. Long story short, every buoy had fish. But the last two buoys had the biggest fish. Steve, who's been here before hooked up on a 30lb+ fish that was hot. It went way into his backing. Fought it before the knot broke.
The other person in the boat is from Seattle. Has done a lot of steelhead, trout and some salmon fishing.... Not to knock the trout guys but the salt water game is a different ball game. His very first baja fish was a 4lb skip jack. This little thing gave him more than he wanted. After 10 minutes, he had it to hand and was amazed at the power from such a little fish. His comment was "damn, a 4lb trout couldn't pull as hard as this fish did". Another thing is I had to get him to cast quicker and faster.

The skippies are getting bigger... Boated some around 12 to 15 pounds. and there are huge schools of them out there. The best thing during the day was the marlin and sails. They (steve) had 5 shots at marlin but they didn't want to eat a fly. Casting range? 15'. Sails were the same way. We were the only boat out there. Actually there was only 6 boats that launched from the beach.

Ending up the day, we went to Punta Perico for some more bait and then down to the light house. The bait is every where. No problems making bait. Then the water exploded. The bait was getting push against the rocks on the shoreline and bait was raining everywhere. They were even jumping on the rocks to escape. It was an amazing site.
There was a HUGE school of "jacks" making all this commotion. They ranged in size from 10lbs to probably 30lbs. Too see all these fish swim under the boat, just made you shake. CASTING? All you had to do was slap the fly on the water

There were other fly guys out there, also. But it seemed like they had a hard time hooking up. One guy who was hooked up broke a rod.

So as you can see, I stayed back today to get things caught up and get ready for tomorrow. I'm going rooster hunting tomorrow. A friend of mine who is down here with a group caught a 40lber at the lighthouse yesterday.. Maybe marlin the first part of the morning and then Pez Gallo in the late morning. It's tough when you have to make a decision :D

I'm working on next years schedule right now. Already have 8 guys who are coming in May. I'm also thinking of doing a short two weeks in October for Tuna and big Dorado. I'll send out fliers and post a notice if things come together. Big YT and YF at that time of the year

Jay