PDA

View Full Version : Hellva day

Jay Murakoshi
05-09-2008, 03:06 PM
That's putting it lightly. Half my group went home today and the other half is leaving tomorrow. So I had a couple captains that were doing nothing today. I took one out this morning and put him to work. Glad I did.

After getting a small load of bait, we headed out to the bouys, some 24 miles. Water was flat and no wind to speak of. Light to heavy overcast, the morning was warmer than the past days.

We checked all the bouys on the way and found no dorado, until we hit the 17 mile marker. My captain has a GPS to find the bouys a lot faster. Then I got into a few small dorado around 10lbs. Released all of them hoping to find the grand dad. At the 20 mile mark, we hit the first fish, big fish. It weighed in at 23 lbs on the boga. RELEASED IT !!! How many people would release a dorado that big. I was looking for grand dad. The next bouy was 2 miles further and there we hit pay dirt. 7 big dorado and a dozen small ones in the 8 to 12lb range. First cast, as fate would have it, the smallest fish in the bunce grabbed the fly and took off. But he wouldn't run to far. The 8 lb fish was to the boat and released in 3 minutes. That's called "power winching" or wanting something bigger.

The big fish hung around waiting to eat more. My next cast hooked into a BIG BULL. It was off to the races. Once the BULL realized it was hooked, it ran, it jumped and jumped. I finally put a little more drag to the fish to try and slow it down but it "sounded". I was way into my dacron backing. I'm guessing it was at least 300' from my reel.

Afer 25 minutes of fighting this fish, it finally came to the boat. In went the gauncho and boga'd at 41lbs. This was all done on a TFO TiCrX 9' 8wt. After drinking a liter of water, it was back to work. So on to the next bouy.

There we found the "grand dads" having a party. The next cast produced a BIGGER fish. To make a long story short, this fished Boga'd at 49 lbs.
It measured from my feet to my shoulders. OK, so I'm 3' 5" :D :D
This fish took a little longer to get in. So we had 90lbs of dorado in the box.

We got selective on the next few fish. I had my captain casting and catching dorado. We caught 8 more fish and then moved on.

Now comes the other part of the morning. Marlin on the fly. Jumped 5 marlin and landed "0". I had my Loomis 15 wt with me but opted to use my 10wt TFO. Not enough backbone to set the hook. I had two hooked in the mouth but after 15 minutes, I broke them off. Didn't want to exploded anymore rods and didn't want to kill the fish.

We ended the fishing day at 10:30am. Oh yeah, on the way back in, we took some shots at a Mako Shark. No luck

Tomorrow, I will post a photo of the dorado. That's when get my cable for the camera to the computer ( I hope ) Remember, when you go fishing, take a fully charged battery so the camera doesn't go dead

Jay

Scott V
05-09-2008, 03:49 PM
I am only a little jealous of you, I have been getting into some big bluegills :lol: at the local ponds. Post some darn pics Jay, I am drooling over here. I am glad to hear you are getting into them, you deserve it after all the work you had to go through.

k.hanley
05-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Hot diggity dog. Sure...the year I take a break you start catching BIG fish!!!!!!!! What's up with that participante? :lol:
Cheers, K

mems
05-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Aloha Jay, great day with mahi that size. Do you guys chase down those big bulls or do you fight from a still boat? I have found the best way to get them in close is to put the boat in gear and pull them in on the bow wave. Sounds like a good endorsement for the Ticr X rod. What 10wt were you using? How big were the marlin? All blues? Boy I bet your arms are sore. Can't wait to get down there. Keep the reports coming, Mems.

nrthcsteel
05-09-2008, 07:05 PM
All of that BEFORE 10:30 AM :shock: hellva day for sure HELLLLLVVVAAAA DAY!!!
Bet that dorado is tasting mighty good right about now! Great stuff. thanks for sharing. Kevin

Jay Murakoshi
05-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Mems,

Most of the time, the dorado are fought from a standing still boat but we had to chase the two big ones. As mentioned, I was using an 8 wt and didn't want to chance of shattering the rod. We had to start the boat and run this thing down. I was running and jumping across the Cortez. Then it sounded to a depth of 250' or better. Straight down.. Lift the rod, reel down, lift the rod, reel down. Then it went under the boat and I was almost in the water to keep the rod away for the boat. The captain got the boat back into position and fight continued.
The marlin, I was using a 10 wt TiCrX. Definitely not enough back bone to stop a jumping marlin. They were every where, lots of jumping marlin and swimmers.

Tonight a couple guys were asking me questions at the bar. First question, "did I see you release that big dorado" YEP !
We already had one big fish in the box, enough to feed my captains family and friends. then when the second big fish went into the box, that was enough to feed his whole town.
Even our shuttle driver took home a good chunk of meat. I brought back one little piece for fish taco's tonight.

I hope to have photo's of the fish tomorrow night

Jay

I know a lot of people put off coming La Paz in May because they think it's too early for dorado. Some years that's true but this year, a different story. Even the cruisers from the East Cape are here. Could be crowded this coming week

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-09-2008, 09:26 PM
"You have a tough job................but somebody has to do it."

Darian
05-09-2008, 10:10 PM
HOLEEEEE MOLEEEE!!!!..... That's a great day of fishin' in anybody's book. One question, Jay..... How come you didn't tackle any Roosterzzzzz on the way in :?: :?: :?: :?: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jay Murakoshi
05-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Darian,

Roosters are on the calendar this week. My group is pretty thin this week, so I can either sleep in or go fishing. I have one day scheduled for the coming week. Looks like dorado in the morning and roosters, jacks in the late morning. There's a lot of bait around the island and along the rocks at Punta Perico. There's a lot of big pargo and amberjacks at the island and Punta Perico.

today's weather is overcast with very little wind. Actually looks like rain clouds but our weatherman Efren said no rain and very little wind.

Right now, I'm working on a trip for October for tuna, dorado and sails. I already have 4 guys wanting to come at that time. I'm checking with the hotel and captains for availability. If I can put every thing together, I'll be sending out fliers to all people who I have on my mailing list. If this October is like last year, there should be a wide variety of fish to catch.

Your going to be shocked at what's happening at Muertos. They just bulldozed the road into Muertos. It's widen and they have construction sites (supplies) all over the place.

Three to five more good years then this place will look like Cabo. If anyone wants to come down and fish a place that gets very little pressure, I would say do it within that time span

Jay[/b]

mems
05-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Aloha Jay, yeah I figured you would need to run down a bull of that size. A couple of tricks I have learned with mahi. If you want to keep them, then fight them until they are golden in color. When you get them to the boat, keep it in gear, and hand line them in for the final gaff shot. Keep the head in the water, and they won't get in that last jump. Stick them before they know what hit them. Best place for a hot mahi is in the box.
I saw on Blanton's board that you are using the bubbleheads. Are these the Rainy's bubbleheads? I love that bait. It catches more fish here in Hawaii than anything else I have used. My only complaint is the hook size, the largest being a 3/0. I made some custom 5/0 and 7/0 ones. I have talked to both Rainy and Jesse Riding, and they are making me a beefed up 5/0 bubble head next fall. For colors I like the pink for ahi, the blue/silver, purple/silver for skipjack, and the all black for the trevally. Mahi will eat anything in the water when they are lit up. One fly they make that works great for larger fish in the mini teaser. I bet the marlin would be all over that. I hope you get to try the TFO baby bluewater rod. It is a 10wt but fights like the other bluewater rods, meaning it goes way past 90 degrees, more like 120. Great stories, keep them coming. Mems.

Loren E
05-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Thats awesome Jay, how do you anticipate the dorado bite will be by early July? Does it usually just get better as the summer goes on?