PDA

View Full Version : I hate it when...

TaylerW
05-09-2008, 02:33 PM
i go into a flyshop and the people who work there dont take me seriously because im a teenager. to be honest my generatino is who they are going to be relying on in the future. the worst shops i have experienced are all of the kaufmanns in the pac. NW, its seems that since im young they just think i dont know anything. really pisses me off....

Scott V
05-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Aren't you suppose to be in school right now, is your homework finished? :lol: :lol:

Ignorance is something that you will run into alot, but don't worry, when you get older some people will find other reasons to treat you like dirt. When you heading back down to your grandparents?

Mrs.Finsallaround
05-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I know what ya mean, bud... Try bein' a girl... LOL. :shock:

At least everyone at Kiene's is great...

Although, my husband's reputation preceded mine :D

TaylerW
05-09-2008, 07:04 PM
yes mom my hw is finished :lol: :lol: , scott you managed to catch a fish there yet? it seems like everybody these days is getting cranky. maybe its gas prices. and yeah, sexism is also a burden. i say we go on strike!!

Gornzorn
05-09-2008, 11:10 PM
I know what you mean, it happens all the time in store of all kinds though. But you are right. I found that I liked the Seattle store more than the Bellevue store, but you are probably referring to the store in OR.
Sometimes I get this when I go to one store....no names, I'll ask what is the material that is used for this, typically it's tying material related, and what I get is a smug sort of answer that makes me feel like I just started tying....which I did. So, know I don't want to ask questions, this happened when I was looking at getting a spey set up too, different person but same sort of thing. I felt like the whole store was watching. I'm not a beginner and not an expert, just somewhere in between.
Service people (good ones) are very valuable.
Buck.

GeorgeRevel
05-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Hey,
Stick to it! when they see you enough they will eventually respect you. I got it all the time. I am only 19 now but I have been to a lot of shops. Don't try and show them what you know just take it in, keeping in mind you have a lot great experience ahead of you. If there is one thing I have learned in this industry is you gotta earn the old farts respect.
George

590Mike
05-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Little Striper and George you are right,what you are going through is really frustrating. The good news is things will change. I went through the same things back in the uuhhh err... well the year doesn't matter. Anyhow I was 16 and working in a sporting goods shop in Anderson and no one really wanted to listen to a kid. It took a while but that changed since I was always ready with a report. Lake. river stream etc.

I would suggest you get in touch with the local fly fishing clubs and find one that is "age-challenged" friendly and start showing up on a regular basis. Helping set-up or clean-up, keep your ears open while helping out, you will be amazed at all the info floating around. Don't heaitate to ask questons either, we fly fishermen are always willing to expound our infinite line of bXX's, I mean knowledge and wisdom. It won't take long before your phone rings asking for help and the next thing you know you are treated a little differently. A perfect example is MrsFins aka VP Robin she is involved in a local club and she is well known on her own right.

My personal experience that could have soured me was when I tried to buy my first graphite rod years ago, it didn't go well so I decided to stay with fiberglass,my next trip to the upper Sac found my same issues with trees, my backcast and casting too much. Two gentlemen (as they truly were) popped out of the trees and I thought for sure they were going to hole jump me,not the case at all. After a quick " hows the fishin?" and my negative report they jumped in with a series of questions and bits of advice. Halfway through the conversation one of the gents said I'm Chris and this guy is Ted when you stop your rod at the top wait a little longer and slow down the fish will still be there when you are done casting. Let's see your box... not bad but try these. After a pat on the back and a "see ya' " A few minutes later I started having hookups and landing fish. After a while it was time to head back and check in with Dad, sitting in camp were my two "strangers" and my Dad made the formal introductions Chris Christensen and Ted Fay. later Chris helped me with the graphite issue. I now say hi or a quick wave to just about everyone on the river.

Hang in there.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-12-2008, 08:22 PM
When someone new walks into your fly shop you don't have any idea how much they know about fly fishing.

When the Revel brothers were 12-15 years old they could out cast 90% of us.

There are famous women fly fishing guides and they don't look any different than most "soccer moms".

Nancy Siegler can out cast, out fish and out tie most of the male fly fishers.

There is a very famous fly fishing guide who has worked for Mike Lawson of Henry's Fork Angler in Idaho for over 20 years who comes in my shop and has never said a thing about his abilities or even that he is a top guide.

Never under estimate anyone..................

You might run into a 90 year old person who doesn't look like much now but was a top fly fisher in his or her day.

TaylerW
05-12-2008, 11:13 PM
but i do have to say i loved the reaction when i took the picture of my 15lb steelie to kaufmanns, they asked me what guide i went with. i told them i didnt need one. :D :D

GeorgeRevel
05-13-2008, 03:18 AM
Its important to be sponge to it all. Thats best part of fly fishing you can never know it all!!! Hanging out at the casting ponds has taught me a lot about fishing and life. my buddies there (some pushing 100) might not know about the helios or the new top of the line waders but the sure have caught a bunch of fish in there day and have a great deal of fishing knowledge. through them I have learned a lot about fly fishing history, long forgotten fishing spots, fly tying (Frank Matarelli) and they are always good for a story!!