PDA

View Full Version : The American

Jeff Putnam
05-01-2008, 02:31 PM
As I work on the American River, usually daily, I get to witness the cycles of everything from fish migration, bug hatches, riparian growth, (and unfortunately the most invasive, human usage). I have been fortunate enough to experience the river’s amazement for a few decades now and I continue to appreciate its presence. How great is it to have year-a-round migratory and resident fish species inhabiting its depths and currents. I have counted over 20 species of birds flying over it; even saw a huge flock of pelicans soaring above it. What a great place! Currently, flowers are blooming all along its banks. By the way, now there are spring steelhead, stripers and shad from Discovery Park to Hazel Bridge! Saw a school of 30 or so shad at Upper Sunrise on Tuesday. I’d fish them from Paradise to Watt Ave for the next week, and then head upriver. The rivers low, so type 3 sinking tips and heads with a bit longer leader should help. Throw 6" per second heads in slow deep water. Size #16-#14 caddis hatch around 10am-1pm and at dark. Get out and fish! jp

Jeff C.
05-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Hey JP!

Great report and you're right, the American is a gem rightr in our own backyard. It's just what I want to hear. I'm just heading out the door to try the lower river for shad.

Jeff C.

Jgoding
05-02-2008, 07:34 AM
Posting in the Jeff Thread!! I guess I should change my board name to Jeff G. to make it right tho...

I kick myself every year for never exporing the American until about 4 years ago.... It is a nice little getaway close to home.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-02-2008, 08:25 AM
I started fishing the river as a teenager (1960) with a spinning rod and night crawlers. My brothers, high school friends and I fished it religiously because it was (and is today) a great fishery right in our city?

One person I think of who has fished the river the longest and hardest is old Joe Shirshac. I can't imagine the tons of fish Joe has hooked it that river in the past 50 plus years?

Al Perryman and Hal Janssen were regulars on the rivers in the "old days".

One of the best and most devoted fly fishers on our river was Dave Howard who sadly pasted away a few years back.

Some years back a friend who lived in Los Angles came and fished the Shad run for a few days and told us we were spoiled having this big clear river flowing though our town.

Back in the 1960s while working in a big sporting goods store, Arden Sports Unlimited, near the river I first met old timers who fished the river on a regular basis. There was a little old Italian man, 'Chris', who fished the river daily with soft shell crayfish and caught tons of Stripers back then.

After all these years I am shocked that the river is still fishing well even though we have cycles.

It has been a favorite local fishery for many and it is not crowed as many would think except at certain places and certain times of the year.

Floating the river in anything is a real treat too.

We are very lucky to have this river.......

lee s.
05-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Amen Bill, amen. 8)

Bryan Morgan
05-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Fantastic news about the Shad. I wait for this all year long.